Coffee Break #8 - It's April - no fooling!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Coming from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/963357/

Thumbnail by victorgardener
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Glory-of-the-snow?

Yes - that's it! Thanks, Carrie. Chionodoxa.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

There's a "vacant lot" next door to my mother's house ... co-owned, I guess, by the abutters. The chionodoxa has been multiplying for years and years and years and noone knows who first planted it. It's gorgeous (although I can't get back there anymore).

Nice.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

I find Chionodoxa forbesii (luciliae) is a very bad seeder. It spreads all over the place and is difficult to eradicate. Don't believe it is a good bulb for perennial gardens. Have had no problems, so far (ten years), with Chionodoxa 'Giant Pink'.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2009 8:24 PM

Lucky you to have a palace, Sunny!^_^

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

So it's not important to let the foliage ripen? DH could mow "his" lawn?

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

victorgardener
You may have noticed that I corrected my error within a few minutes.
What do you think about the invasiveness of Chionodoxa forbesii?
Sunny

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

carrielamont,
What foliage?
Sunny

Not a problem so far. Can't imagine it causing much of a problem.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

There's not foliage that has to ripen? That's DH's reasoning behind me not planting tiny bulbs in what passes for a lawn - I want him to wait for the foliage to ripen before he mows it down, and he finds the sight of crocus or grape hyacinth leaves without their flowers to be unbearably unpleasant. If one had too many of them, it would be okay if he mowed a few, no?

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

victorgardener,
Would you explain the process here.
Is participation in a 'coffee break' only available by personal invitation?
Sunny

No - anyone can join in at any time. It's usually where we discuss anything - gardening or non. Please call me Victor.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2009 9:33 PM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

We shoot the baloney.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Thanks Victor,
I appreciate the explanation and the invitation.
Don't mean to be rude, but am still working my way around the options at Dave's Garden.
Sunny

No problem. Feel free to ask any of us about DG features.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Thanks carrielamont,
Sounds relaxing - something that I really have to work at.
Sunny
(but I do like coffee)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Gosh, Sunny, you've only been around for 3 months! I'm sorry. Welcome to Dave's Garden! There are FAQ's at the top of each page, and you just call me Carrie. Ask anybody anything - most of us are fairly friendly.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Strange but friendly. Welcome to DG from Northeastern Florida I am one of the Strange ones.

Thumbnail by wren107
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

love that Wren!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

What? the statement or the flower?? LOL

It is raining down here, wish I could send some up to y'all guess tomorrow will have to go around looking for all the breeding ground for the "skeeters"

Good night y'all

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Thanks Carrie,
carrielamont becomes clear. I should have got that one.
For me, I'm a sunshine gardener - need lots of sun to have perennials in bloom throughout the growing season. Assume Victor has a climate much like us. Don't know your climate, but spent some time in DC and Alexandria,Va, some 30 years ago - summer was quite exotic!
Sunny

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Victor is MUCH warmer than I am, or at least noticeably, I think. I'm in Massachusetts, near Boston. DC is 8 - 10 hours away, depending on how fast you drive!

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Carrie,
And I took MA as Maryland!
Sorry
Sunny

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Welcome Sunny!

Victor, Did you notice Jos. A Banks is doing a similar deal with men's suits? Buy one, if you lose your job you get the money back & keep the suit!

I love UConn but Calhoun's attitude, the team's graduation rate, etc, have gone from bad to worse. He makes Uconn men a guilty pleasure for me.I respect what he has accomplished but I won't be sad to see him go.
I will stick up for him on the salary question. It wasn't a reporter but an "activist" who had also been arrested for disturbing Gov. Rell's inauguration. He asked if he planned on giving any of his salary back

I did hear that radio commercial, Dave. I did hear about the activist too, but he should have handled it much better. He's becoming the new Bobby Knight.

I am rooting for the women!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi Sunny, Welcome!! We have the same zone...are you sitting waiting for the first bloom to appear like I am? Or are the Chionodoxa blooming already?

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hi, Sunny!! Enjoy yourself here. Feel free to jump in anywhere.

Yes Sunny welcome aboard. We are in the same zone.

New virus threat to millions and millions of computers. Its called conflicker. If you cant get to Microsoft or Norton its in your computer and your infected.

www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/viruses/worms/conficker.mspx

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi Dave. Hi pixie
Pixie very interesting to compare zone-wise.
It's a strangely early spring here, getting warmer, colder, warmer, etc.
Haven't noticed any of the blue Chionodoxa yet (try to limit them to one largish area), but actually have a few of the pink ones in bud in sunniest locations. Species crocus most noticeable in sunny locations.
Do you see any bulbs flowering? Also, what depths do/would you plant small (e.g. crocus) and large (e.g. daffodils) bulbs at? Friend of mine complains planting depths we often read are really for Holland, England, etc. Am using 4 and 12 inches (for bottom of bulb).
Can't wait to get going.
Sunny

Thomaston, CT

The chionodoxa & daffs are in full bloom downtown----jeesh---I must be a zone colder! I love living on top of a hill, but I wish something would bloom! You're right, Dave, about Calhoun---but that so-called reporter was in the conference on false pretenses, looking for trouble---also, Yahoo! Sports could have published the Nate Miles story anytime, but chose to do so during the tournament----I smell a rat!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Welcome Sunny.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

That snarky college has overnight snuck in some landscapers to plant gobs of blooming daffodils and tulips and hyacinths in a patch that was barren last week We used to think there was something wrong with our yard - now we know that they will be trashing this display in a few weeks for fully blooming impatiens which they'll compost for begonias, or maybe it's the other way around. All I know is that it makes GARDENERS look bad!

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Thanks Jan, Sherrie and flowerjen,
Wonder about climate differences within the same zone. Maybe some of us are more continental and some more maritime.
Glad son pushed to get a Mac. (Sure there were other reasons)
Sunny

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i got conficter trying to clean it up right now. pain in the butt - both microsoft and norton will charge to help - not happy - aren't they suppose to protect against this?!?!?!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.