large containers for non-vegetable/flower use?

Galien, MI

I've been looking as container gardens as an option to some raised beds, but I'm not sure they will work for my plans. I propagate shrubs, tree seedlings, daylilies, and plan to do Japanese irises. I live up north with Michigan winters. I have access to some very large black drums, which worked well, for some small seedling beds and raised beds for individual stock plant bushes. Those vertical planters and earthboxes looked awesome, but I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around how they could work for lots of cuttings like a raised bed would. The container may be useful for the Japanese iris bulbs I'm getting, as the spring I want to put them next to has hard water, making the pH too high for them to enjoy it. That would control the pH problem, but I was putting them there as it gets loads of water, and it stays warmer in winter. If I put a container there, I may be swapping one problem for two. I'd love a bit of impartial feedback, here. I think I would have to have one EB size for each bulb, as I want them to multiply. It this a practical solution? Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.