Asparagus rookie...can I plant now?

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

I bought one year old asparagus in a bag from a local TSC store and want to get the ball rolling on that. Is now too soon to plant?

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Asparagus is a bit of a fusspot. It likes a sweet (alkaline), well-drained soil in full sun. One thing you don't want to do...plant it before the soil temperature has warmed up to 50°F unless the crowns are dormant.

Here is a link with more information on asparagus growing. You can also go to U-tube and put into search asparagus and watch some videos of how to plant it. I planted too much of it three years ago. I planted 114 one year old crowns. They multiplied and I have a field of the stuff. :) This year we'll be able to do more heavy harvesting. The hardest thing I've found so far is keeping the wild grass and weeds out of there. Last fall I cut mine down and blanketed it all with leaves. I'll use a scuffle hoe on the weeds when they are tiny. You don't want to let the weeds take over. My ferny foliage got to about 5 or 6 feet tall. I had no idea it got that big. This is my first asparagus growing experience so I'm still learning as I go.

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/asparagus-grow.asp

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Here is a link to a short video on planting the asparagus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB3QA8PKa8o

When I planted mine I also top dressed the area in between the rows with composted manuer.

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

Thanks a bunch Loon!! I greatly appreciate your advice! I am currently trying to figure out how to get a barrel of steer manure :)

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Do you know anyone that has cows? Stop by and ask if you can shovel some. Some farmers will load up your pickup for about $20. You can't put it down right away anyway. It has to age or it will be too hot and burn up your plants. You are better off buying the bagged aged dehydrated stuff at your local garden center till you can score some fresh and compost it.

We're getting baby chickens in a few weeks so in time I'll have lots of rabbit poop to add to the compost bins.

Maybe you can get your own cow for fertilizer. :) Our neighbor down the road has two. They are named Bucky and Bully and I am sure I could follow them around with a shovel if I wanted to. :) I spotted them yesterday eating their mama's flowers up by the house. Bad cows!!

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

Actually, lol, about 50 miles to the west of me, I have an uncle who has 800 head of cattle... Looks like a road trip is coming :) My only concern is smell. I should look for some old poo shouldnt I?

When I was a kid, my family lived a mile down the road from my grandparents farm ( same farm) and we had a half acre garden and in the spring grandpa would drive the tractor and manure spreader down to the house and make a few passes and fertilize the garden. I had forgotten all about that. No wonder my parents garden was insanely productive!

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Loon, that explains why my asparagus is so poor! We have acid soil here.

Does that mean I can't grow it? We are loamy sand, emphasis on the sand - basically an old done or sand blow. Asparagus grows in great fields just north of us in Muskegon county.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I would test the soil first. You can pick up testing kits at most garden centers or from your local extension office. If you find it is too acid here is a formula to follow to make it more alkaline.

To increase your pH by 1.0 point and make your soil more alkaline.
Add 4 ounces of hydrated lime per square yard in sandy soils
Add 8 ounces of hydrated lime per square yard in loamy soils
Add 12 ounces of hydrated lime per square yard in clay soils
Add 25 ounces of hydrated lime per square yard in peaty soils
Correction of an overly acid soil should be considered a long term project, rather than trying to accomplish it in one year. It is better to test your soil each year and make your adjustments gradually. The addition of hardwood ash, bone meal, crushed marble, or crushed oyster shells will also help to raise the soil pH.

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

patriotboy, if you need any aged horse manure or turkey peacock or chicken.............your more than welcome to come clean pens , and raid our horse manure pile. we raise draft horses.................so the piles are BIG!!! LOL!!! Birdie
Two of my son in laws were cleaning pens this past weekend ,they would have LOVED to have you and your kids out here hauling it away!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.