Help replacing Pokeweed and Garlic Mustard with natives

Downingtown, PA(Zone 6b)

For the last two years I've been working to eradicate a large area of Garlic Mustard in the woodsy section of my back yard. Unfortunately, the only way I've even been able to make a dent in it is with copius amounts of Roundup killing everything in the area (which was 99.5% garlic mustard only). I think I am at a place now where I can start re-establishing natives into the area. I'd like some recommendations for for part to mostly shade woodsy plants that will spread quickly and come up before the garlic mustard gets another foothold.
I have similar problems in the same are with Pokeweed, but to a much lesser invasion.
Any suggestions for eliminating the garlic mustard (and pokeweed) would also be appreciated.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Fortunately, I've never had to deal with garlic mustard. Good luck with it! BTW, pokeweed is native in your area.

Downingtown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the update re:pokeweed. I thought I read it was invasive somewhere, but I just re-checked our department of conservation of natural resources site and it isn't listed. That will make for a lot less digging out gigantic tuber roots this spring.

I've started seeding a lot of wood poppy, monarda and foam flower with the hopes that they'll spread quickly, but I'd still be interested in other plant recommendations

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

For woodland restoration, you may want to use plants rather than seeds, as most woodland wildflowers take several years to bloom from seed. One idea is to try poking around in local forests to see what grows around there. My own small woodland garden is a mix of forbs, ferns, and shrubs, with essentially one mature canopy tree - sounds as if you have a lot more. Native plant nurseries like Prairie Moon and Amanda's Garden will generally be willing to talk with you about recommended species for your site.

Portage, WI(Zone 4b)

woodland phlox Phlox divaricata spreads nicely and should do well for you. Very easy to propagate from cuttings as well. Pokeweed is native, but I hear you on how invasive it can be. Nothing much kills it either. I have found cutting it back to the ground constantly about the only way to keep it down. Won't kill it, but it will stay a more neat rosette. I have had no luck digging it out, it just resprouts. More of a "taming" than controlling!

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wild ginger(Asarum canadense) and native violets (many varieties available) are both strong spreaders.
Native wild geranium (geranium maculatum) would also spread well but might like the sunnier spots better. The ginger is out competing the violets for me in spots.

I agree with Jsorens about starting with plants. If you can find a place to buy flats of plugs it would be inexpensive.
Unfortunately most nurseries that sell flats of native plants are wholesale.
If you only have seeds start them in trays and set out as small plants.

Bowman's Hill (PA) native plant sale is coming up soon. If you join you can go on Friday May 8th, one day before the general public. There is a lecture /presentation before the sale on the 8th discussing plants. I bet you can find someone to give you good ideas and walk through the preserve and see for yourself. I seem to remember huge areas of trillium.

This message was edited Apr 30, 2009 6:29 AM

Downingtown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm already a BH member, so I'll see you next Friday :)

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Save some plants for me, I can't go to the sale until Saturday, but I will try a native plant nursery in NJ next week, Toadshade.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.