Iris ID please

Decatur, AL(Zone 8a)

Can someone please tell me which Iris I have?

Thumbnail by Turtlegaby
Decatur, AL(Zone 8a)

an other pic

Thumbnail by Turtlegaby
Decatur, AL(Zone 8a)

and one more

Thumbnail by Turtlegaby
Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Ooh, I am envious of you! Hopefully blooms won't be too far away for us. We just had 3 1/2 days of rain! Hopefully someone will be able to id your beauty! :)

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It appears to be one of the pallidas.

Decatur, AL(Zone 8a)

Aren't the pallidas variegated? This one isn't. The leaves are just green. They have been in the yard when I bought the house 1 1/2 years ago and never did anything last year. I all but gave up and wanted to throw them away, but being a plant lover, I just couldn't. It was a very pleasant surprise this year when they started to grow in early January and last week they all became flowerheads. I didn't know the color until today when the first one opened. Love it - in a couple of days, it will be a blooming sea of Irises.

I just would like to know the name, it drives me nuts not to know by name, what I have in my yard.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Nope, the pallidas aren't all variegated. There are a couple that are, but there are quite a few green leaved ones. Does it smell like grape koolaid? True sign of a pallida.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/74671/

Here's a named pallida, with green leaves Princess Beatrice

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/205462/

And there are others. I would think it would be hard to put a name to any of the pallidas.

Dee, and IrisMA may be able to offer more insight on these. If it is a pallida, I doubt you will be able to get the actual cultivar name, but nothing wrong with calling it pallida.

South Hamilton, MA

Pallidas have papery spathes instead of green. A spathe encloses the flower bud & you will see if it is green or papery.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes, that's right IrisMA. I forgot that. In the first picture, doesn't it look papery to you?

BTW, lots of people look for the green leaved pallida, they are apparently hard to find. I know Superstition carries some.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Does this look like the same one? BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

I never dreamed people were looking for them when I try to trade them 3 for 1 of another kind!!!! Guess they don't look on here much!
Debc

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I saw a couple of people on Gardenweb looking for them. One person wanted a hundred or so. That was awhile ago, maybe last year.

Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

Oh!!!....you're such a lucky duck!!!

Decatur, AL(Zone 8a)

Thank you all. Yes, they look like on the pictures, and the spathes are papery. It also smells like grape koolaid.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Well, I think you have it then. Great.

If you order a catalogue from Superstition you'll find they have a few pallidas for sale, named ones. I doubt though, even if you got the named ones, it would match the one you have, because they have crossed with other irises over the years, but you could always show your pallida, and then the named ones, and point them out. It would be cool just to have some different pallidas.

And the smell is heavenly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.