☞ Pumpkin-sized Ponderosa Lemons

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2008 ~experpt from the Desert Sun newspaper
By Stacy Wiedmaier

.The fruit hanging from George Atzopoulos' backyard tree look more like basketballs than lemons. The 77-year-old La Quinta man has been busy picking, slicing, juicing and giving away dozens of the massive lemons that appeared this year. The largest is 31 inches in circumference. "They are giant and look more like pumpkins," Atzopoulos said, shaking his head. "I've never seen such a thing"

...and on the article goes...

I have the entire article, but can't locate it at the moment, but basically, he should have called Guiness world book of records, and I told him so!, lol...

George is a great guy. I met him a few years ago, and was taken by his garden. He is the next door neighbor to my father. My father is the one that took these pictures.

George tells us that his "secret" to growing such large lemons is a nightly dose of his "personal liquid fertilizer", lol...something the newspaper decided they couldn't mention, lol...

Here he is with one of his "smaller ones"

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX

he and his brother

and a clump of them.

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow, those are really impressive. I had read that Ponderosa lemons got big, but still . . . that's terrific.

Karen

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

wow, those are really impressive, I have to show my neighbor, she just bought a ponderosa lemon tree from Lowes....I don't think she knew they could get that big. Wish I knew the "secret sauce" that he pours on them each night.....LOL.

Thank you for sharing Seedpicker_tx

well after he told my dad and his wife that the secret was that he peed on it every night, they were a tad reluctant to try one, lol...

Beverly Hills, FL(Zone 8b)

LOL!! If it works, than that's ok...just wash it really well!

ha-ha...I'm afraid I couldn't have swallowed the juice after knowing his secret fertilzer, lol...but they said they tasted great!, ha-ha :0)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.