Humpback Whales.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha everyone!

Just thought you might be interested in our last Whale count of the year before the Humpback head off to Alaska for the summer. The count for Maui County was off the coast of Kahoolawe (one of the islands that makes up Maui County), and was conducted by volunteers and by NOAA.. Our numbers were just published today, with average of 9 whales being counted for every 15 minutes!

There was a new baby born just off shore in Kihei last week, much to the delight of onlookers, although rather a late birth. Most of the calves that were born in January and February are growing big and getting strong enough to make the long swim back to Alaska so that the Moms can feed. It's sad to see them go - but always a delight to see them return in the autumn.

Jenn

Keaau, HI

Any photos Jenn?

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Gosh no, I have yet to be able to catch a picture of a Whale breaching, hard as I try! I have been out on the boats lots of times this year, but I am always too busy watching! Last two times I was out we were in the middle of competition pods and there were Whales all around and underneath the catamaran, pushing and shoving each other for the attention of the fair maiden...

My grandson and his girlfriend got some pretty good shots when they were here, perhaps I can ask them to send me one of their pics....

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Aloha, Aloha, Jenn, Dave and everyone else.

How wonderful to be part of a whale count just off your island! Life in Paradise does have its wonderful moments. And there are lots of them. Good for you all.

So that's why there weren't any whales around when I was in Hawai'i. They had migrated to get away from the evil canadian polar bear that was going to ply their waters. Smart move.

Take care, all.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. on other forums as Sylvain.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.