Looking for a new Garden

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

If it comes attached to a roof with 4 walls, a bathroom and a place to cook, that's even better...A garage or shed would be a real plus!!! or a BARN!! WOW!!

I am raised in NC and FL, based in CA and WA in the military, married and lived in FL, GA, and back to CA, remarried, back to FL, and am now 4 yrs in OH...I have a son and daughter in GA and my grandchildren, and I need/want to go back south...I am looking for a small 2 bedroom house, preferably on some land, FS by owner or lease purchase or rent to own...We are in our 60's and on SS, fixed income...
My Children are in the north of Atlanta, and I prefer that too...Country living is perfect as long as I have access to a VA clinic and hospital...

If any of you know of anything, including fixer uppers, please let me know...and I look forward to meeting all of you!!

Dusty

(Zone 7b)

WOW Dusty are you really coming to Ga!

I will have to look you up and visit when you get settled in ^_^

Theres a little house for rent up the road from me but i'm way south of Atlanta (sorry :(

Don't pass it off Harmony....I'm just on the Hunt...My Son just left MI in January, so they are all back south....If I have to be south of Atlanta , thats fine too...but I am getting out of this frigid OH as soon as I find a place...

(Zone 7b)

Oh it's nice here it's spring and the dogwoods are just beautiful!

Come on down i'll fix some grits and hog jowel ^_^

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

DustyDS, there are a lot of foreclosure houses for sale here in the Atlanta area. Offhand, I don't know of a website that lists them, but I'm sure there is one. My son lives in Buford, and there is one on his street. How much land do you want?

Hi Beclu....I would prefer out in the country, but no more than 5 acres, unless its pasture...The place I am leasing now is on 6 acres, and it is about 4 in pasture/yard, and 2 in woods...Sits waaaay back up off the road, and nice and peaceful...I am not looking for luxury...just a little country house...Fixer upper is perfect...

Harmony, I figured the Dogwoods would be about to bust down there...I remember the Easter Parade in April and they were a riot of color in my yard...I have a white one here, and I just bought and planted a pink one 2 weeks ago...It was back below freezing here Sunday...45* now, and supposed to hit 58* today, but it's cloudy...This place is going on the market in about a year, so I am planning ahead...I don't want to go back to FL because of the insurance rates, and the kids are in GA, so that's where I'm going...Besides...I miss my Boiled Peanuts!!! LOL

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Dusty The insurance rates are not high every where in Florida. So check some of the inland areas. We have boiled peanuts too.
My sister lives in Dallas, Ga which is south of Atlanta, and their utilities rates are high and it is building up fast, but there are still some nice areas.

Harmony you have D-mail that I think you will like.

Sandy

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Wren - Dallas is west of Atlanta, northwest actually. Its a beautiful area though. Have only driven thru there once. Utility rates are going up all over GA I think. Our electric sure has.

Hi Harmony, I've got eggs in the bator. Can you make it to BronxBoy's roundup on the 25th?

Becky

I get all mixed up when driving on those darn roads around Atlanta. I think a can of worms would be easier to untangle LOL

(Zone 7b)

Wren LOL on that can of worms (I never go to atlanta i take the back roads to the mountains)

beclu oh that is great about the eggs good luck on those.
No sorry no roundup for me come spring i'm booked up on weekends if i'm not at the flea market i'm at the auction, or i could be building coops or camping or fishing and i got to do gardening sometime.
So my weekends are usually planned before i know it if not by me then by somebody else.

Today it's steading my hatcher and putting up nest for my doves and come this weekend i will be at the auction and i have 40 eggs due to hatch.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Well they don't call the one intersection Spaghetti Junction for no reason. I think there are a lot of spaghetti juctions, not just the one. I don't go into Downtown either. We've been here 25 years and I have been there 10 times or less. Mainly go to the botanical garden - 4 times so far.

Harmony you sure are busy. Maybe you can make one in the fall. Meeting all the people is great. BTW if it is still alive, I have a confederate rose for you.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

DustyDS, I'll check some real estate sites I look at periodically and dmail you some links if you want. I like looking at what's for sale in NE Georgia area mostly. Becky

(Zone 7b)

beclu you have a confederate rose for me?

Oh i could cry my mother had one and i never did get a piece of it before she passed away.

I will pay whatever you ask plus shipping i'm so happy ^_^

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Harmony, don't get too excited. Its from my postlady and I haven't seen what the blooms look like. She gave me 2 last fall and they are in posts. No money, we can meet at a chicken show or something if there's one coming up. I'm retired, so I don't have a set schedule. Maybe we could meet for lunch or something somewhere in between our 2 houses if there aren't any shows coming up. LMK. Becky

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

trying a link. javascript:top.DisplayExpandedList('02488405','/cmps$mlsx/stdvlpanel1expand.htm')

that did not work. You need to copy and paste the link.

Dusty, I have reached my limit of edits for the day, so I cant edit that link.
I am a realtor in Fayette county. If you want I can send you a narrowed down list of what you want, if its around me. I know most of the better deals on the market.
I dont want a piece of the deal. I will give you the list and you can do what you want.
Send me a dmail with your email and I will send you links.

Welcome back to GA, (almost)
chris

wren, I didnt think it was going to work. It is from a restricted site. I usually cant post links.
I need to email them.
thanks

Thank you Becky... I would appreciate that...

I am guessing that what I will find will be somebodys **Gramma passed away, and Daddy doesn't know what to do with her house 'cause it needs too much work and Momma won't live there** type scenario...

I have a DG friend in KY that had her Mommas house, and now her MIL's house that they needed to do something with...They did finally manage to sell the one, but they have the other one to go now...Word of mouth is usually the best way to find them...Or *Sunday drives* and see one that looks to have been vacant for awhile...Definitely NOT in the High Rent areas, cause like I said... we are on SS, fixed income...
That's why I figured I would post here...'cause us DGers know everything about everybody... LOL

Miz Harmony, I'm gonna need a piece off that Confederate rose when I get down there, so you take real good care of it....LOL

Thank You Chris...both for the help and the Welcome Home...
I appreciate both...I DO know I do not want to be in DeKalb or Cobb counties...and I'm not too fond of Fulton either...LOL

My old home is in the Chamblee-Dunwoody district...not far off Ashford-Dunwoody Rd and Johnson Ferry RD, on Stratfield Circle NE...but that was another life...I don't live in Neiman Marcus balls gowns anymore...I don't even own a skirt anymore...Somebody dies, I have a nice black pant and blazer suit to wear to the funeral... Can't tell you the last time I wore a pair of stockings...LOL

My email is my name here @gmail.com....

(Zone 7b)

Sure thing Dusty and i will throw in some angel trumpet cuttings and a few chickens if you like.

I know about the liveing in the country i love my wooded lot i come from DeKalb county moved south when they started putting up a strip mall on every corner.

If you have any problems with the Confederate rose and aphids put worm soil around the base of the plant. I do not have one but there is a lot of DG down here that grow them.

Well, My Son, and my Daughters Son headed up to MI to get my little Grandson on Friday...They came back down I-75 and stopped here for about an hour last evening...I had a good chat with my Son about finding a place...There is no rush to do it..We are not on a lease here, just month to month...I would like to go before winter if I can, but if not, so be it...

Thanks for those links in the email Becky...I haven't looked at all of them yet, but I will today since it is doing a cross of rain and snow flurries here today, so no outside work for me...I am going to pull up the VA website, and find the clinics and map them out, so I know where to look...

Harmony, I will take you up on those chickens...That's why I want a little bit of land...Veggie garden and some chickens...and if I find the right place, I will have a calf and a pig to fatten for the freezer too...I will find one...may take a little time, but it will be the right one, and the last one...

Y'all have a good day, and I hope you aren't getting any of this nasty weather...

Commerce, GA(Zone 8a)

Dusty, You might want to check out Jackson,Banks, or Barrow counties in Ga.There are foreclouses,Hud homes & etc available.

http://www.georgiamls.com/search/index.cfm

http://www.hudpemco.com/

Well I have an update as of yesterday...Son will be moving to the east coast...He can live anywhere from Brunswick to about 30 miles into SC...
I am looking a bit west of the coast...Looking near Sylvania, Statesboro, right now...
Anyone over that way??

Well the kiddo turned down the promotion so he is staying in his house in Kennesaw...He is going to MI on July 11th to get the wife and son...

I have been trying to hunt on my own, and I think I have found what I was looking for...

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/8724-Ga-Hwy-24-W_Bartow_GA_30413_1107919840

I google mapped it and did a street view...It doesn't say on the listing, but it appears to be between 3 to 5 acres...I emailed the realtor so I'll know something more soon I hope...It needs roof repair and paint, but I have that covered, so not a worry...Looks like a diamond in rough to me...

I love that it has a place for a wood stove.
We too bought a fixer upper that was in similar condition (although a good chunk more than that, for a city property). I love my house because I was able to keep the exterior look I loved and do whatever I wanted inside.
I hope you get your dream house! What a nice price!

Apparently it is under contract already...but I am not giving up... LOL

Dusty, I dont know when you were told that it is under contract, but as of this morning it is still listed as an "active" listing. A Realtor is required to change the statis of a listing the same day, so you might want to check again.

It might have fallen through or just hasnt been signed yet.

Instead of calling the agent, you can call the Coldwell Banker office direct...478-453-4200.
If they dont have the "signed and accepted" contract in there hands, you can still put in an offer.

If you really know that this is the one for you, you can put in an offer by fax, with an original to follow by overnight mail.

Good Luck,
chris

Thanks Chris...There is an issue with the property in that it is a foreclosure, the listing was up apparently on the 21st, someone made an offer on the 22nd, and it was pulled from the website, then put back up again as relisted, with a price reduction...it got a bit hinky when I contacted them on the 23rd and asked who the seller is (mortgage holder) and all of a sudden, she didn't know which property I was referring to when she had just emailed me 15 pics of it the day before...Then she told me there was an offer and then there wasn't...so after careful consideration of the location, I decided to pass on it...
I am looking between Rome and the Rockmart area, closer to Kennesaw than Bartow...Rome has a VA clinic so that is also an issue...

Dusty, try this...looks interesting and is very new on the market.

mls # 02693481
1301 cottonwood ct. nw
oakhill subdivision
Kennesaw
$42,800

Seems to have very good bones except that is has a very small yard.

I will keep my eye out for something that wow's me.

This message was edited Jun 29, 2009 9:11 PM

Won't go Chris... gimme the MLS #

I like this yard better.

2540 Ridgecrest Dr
mls # 02689691

Ok, if Rome is a good location for you...this one is sweet!
built in 1999, seems to be in awesome condition. On over 2 acres.
I really like this one.

There is a 5% selling commision on this so if you make an offer, take at least that 5k off, plus.

mls# 02692135
$49,000
New on the market.

Here is a fixer upper in Rockmart.

1885 Old collard valley rd
mls# 02582825
$24,900

This one doesnt give me any info on lot or land size.

Have fun looking, it can be alot of fun.

Thanks Chris...I'll check it out...

(Zone 7b)

Those are some great deals!

Dahlonega, GA

I check out real estate on Craigs List and see some good stuff .A lot of it is by owner and saw a nice place to give away , just re-record the deed . Got divorced and got the house , but because his ex had lived in it , he didn't want anything to do with it . That's cutting off your nose to spite your face . all this was seen about a month ago . Good luck in your hunt . digger

Digger... which city on Craigs do you use?

Dahlonega, GA

Dusty , I look at Atlanta Ga and Austin Tx mostly . You can check out any of the larger cities , they will list at least 100 miles around .There are a lot of realtors use CL but so do a lot of individuals . Might give you an idea what the market prices are for an area. The land we bought here was 4, 500 an acre when we bought it 15 yrs ago and now Atlanta has discovered the mountains and land has gone as high as 80,000 an acre around us .Some even more . But there are still some good bargans to be found if you don't get in a hurry . when you find it, jump on it , it won't last long digger

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.