Gifts & trades 08

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Thought I'd post a few pics of temp beds filled with irises accumulated last summer. MGH--the white
dwarfs are doing fine in the oval bed. PollyK--The hellebore bonus you sent to me was eaten level
to the ground by a rabbit but I see it is regrowing stems and leaves just fine. All the irises I received
survived the winter and appear to be doing fine. Thanks a lot everyone. We'll do it again this year.

Thumbnail by Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

More temps.

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Wooo Hooo ^_^

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Some more.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Another block.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Last block.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

I kept all the d-mails and mailing addresses from last year so in late June I will be posting
pics of the freebies I will be giving away. My backyard bed needs to rest for a year and
I will be replanting only the older historics. Like Circuit City--everything must go.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Looking good!

I don't know what it is about critters eating hellebores this year. Don't they know they are poisonous?

Lebanon, OR

nope do not think they do know they are poisonous and since I never see any dead bunnies maybe something in their tummies make it none poisonous to them, they had the nerve to eat the top off of one of the new black ones, now if they get to the doubles, I will be outside hunting rabbits...

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I've never had anything touch any of mine. I might have had rabbit stew after it eating a black one.

Raleigh, NC

well, your irises are definitely sickening to them!

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

Take a bar of Irish Spring soap and cut it into cubes, and either put a piece on a stake or put a piece in a knee hi panty hose and hang it up. Critters do not like the smell.

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

WOW 1913cat!! TY for the tip!! Thank goodness at this point the rabbits don't get mine. The cats and dogs get the rabbits first!!
debbie
Might be good among the green beans though!!!

Raleigh, NC

no joke - I gav eup on beans because of bunnies.

how high off the ground should I hang it? 1 ft, 3 ft?

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

usually a 36 inch stake is what it goes on, so really do far, you want it close enough to where they back off. I would not put it too close to the food or plants because after it rains of course the soap dissolves slowly and you never know what it might do to the vegitation. Maybe just in the corners of say a raised bed for example.

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

Speaking of rabbits -- the bunny that sneaked into my "fenced-in" back yard last fall and refused to leave (and did lots of damage and left much fertilizer behind!) was finally driven out by the backyard floodwaters. I later found a half-eaten cotton-tailed carcass in the front yard where he had fallen prey to a hawk.

Last fall he was nibbling on iris fans -- I thought THEY were poisonous.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Wascally wittle wabbits usually eat the buds off my low profile plants & shrubs. They are
really fond of my antique rose. Cutting the new sucker canes off 3 or 4 inches above
the ground. They don't appear to eat them, just cut them off.

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

My unwelcome visitor badly mutilated 2 David Austins -- of course, they were the only roses that stayed green during the winter!

Peachland B.C., BC(Zone 5a)

Out there some where are my iris beds, boy do I envy you guys.
Snow is to deep even for the pesky deer.

Thumbnail by oltmanns

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.