You know what bugs me?

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

This morning reading the weekly DG newslettter, one of the articles was about Coleus. I have never been head over heels for this plant, but the new varieties that there was photos of were stunning. Varieties like Black Lace and Duke of Swirl really caught my eye. Tried to find them online, plantfiles, etc to see if they were available in Canada. NOT! It bugs me when we are tempted with beautiful varieties of plants and we can't get them here. Grrrrrrrrrr

North Augusta, ON

I feel the same way when I hang out in the Hibiscus forum...sigh

North Augusta, ON

or the Begonia forum...

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

or the African Violet forum....and the list goes on. grumble, grumble

North Augusta, ON

Actually, there are a couple of very good suppliers of African Violets in Canada. Just go to e-bay dot ca and search...pages of them!!

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Yes, there are actually two Vendors that I use, but not nearly the number available in the States.

North Augusta, ON

no...not nearly...sigh

I wonder if "better access to tropical plants" would be a good answer on an Immigration to America form?

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

LOL, good idea, but how about phrasing it "better access to all plants". Might as well go for the gusto!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Don I found some lovely Coleus last year at Canadian Tire of all places!
I think the big garden centres had some too but probably not the variety in that article.

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

No, probably not, Carol. I doubt the fancier varieties will be available to us for a while. But I will check around some of the bigger Garden centers this Spring.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Don
I think our Salsbury Green house in Edmonton may have the Black lace one. I was talking to Jagonjune on Wednesday and I'm sure she said that they had that as a new one.
If they have cuttings started then maybe a greenhouse close to you will too. Why don't you email and ask?
Ann

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

I will, Ann. Maybe Art Knapp in Kelowna or Penticton will carry it. Hope so, I'll check. Thanks for the heads up. ^_^

Victoria Harbour, ON

Will check the Garden Gallery in Barrie in search of some of these plants Don...

I often buy regular coleus..so colorful...

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Thanks Betty, but I am sure these unusual ones will be hard to find. I wrote at a Garden Center in my area, but haven't heard back yet.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Don
I will take a photo of the one I overwintered. It's just starting to get to the size that I will be taking cuttings.
If it's the right one I could mail you "overnight" a piece and you could do your own.
I'm just getting the GH going and will take a photo later.
Ann

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Don
Here is the coleus from last year which I overwintered. The newest growth is the darkest as it went totally green over the winter.
The more light it gets the darker it is.
Just let me know.
Ann

Thumbnail by annabell52
Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

It is very kewl, Ann, but I am stuck on those two named varieties. Thank you for the wonderful offer though. ^_^

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

You are welcome!
You never know what some ones vision is.LOL
Ann

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

LOL..vision is right! Once I get it stuck in my craw, there's no going back. :&

Here are the hybrids: Black Lace Coleus

This message was edited Apr 4, 2009 7:42 PM

Thumbnail by DonM47
Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Duke of Swirl Coleus

Thumbnail by DonM47
(Zone 4a)

Those are some pretty neat coleus......some of them really have some interesting colours.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Mason Hogue, a nursery in Uxbridge, ON used to send out a catalogue with a great selection of new coleus and other tender perennials each year. Sadly, they don't do mailorder anymore. I really used to look forward to that catalogue.

I agree with you about the lack of supply in Canada. What scares me too is that so many of the specialty nurseries around here are closing their doors, no doubt squeezed out by the big box competition. Perhaps it's a small niche of gardeners that love the new & unusual plants, but we're here and willing to pay a bit more for quality and selection (right?). I'm seeing our choices dwindle with every new closure, pretty soon we will be limited to what the big box stores decide to offer to the masses each year. Our local nurseries will improve with our feedback, support and patronage. (I'm not a nursery owner - just a frustrated consumer).

Sandy

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Oops, I hope I didn't halt the discussion by getting on my soapbox over the big box stores. So sorry! I've always bought a lot of mail order plants due to the lack of selection at local nurseries. It's just that in the last five years or so I've been talking to the owners of our local nurseries and seeing the big picture from their perspective, and seeing it all slowly come to pass ... our patronage of the big box stores for plants are drying up our selction even more. Just my opinion, of course!

Coleus rocks. I'd like to find some more sun-loving coleus. The one I have is Alabama Sunset which takes the full sun of the front garden, which really livens things up out there.

Can anyone suggest another sun-loving Coleus? I love Alabama Sunset, but it seems time for a change.

'Alabama Sunset' in one of the planters.
Sandy

Thumbnail by sanannie
Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

all those fancy coleus are available in canada its just to early for it yet try in about two to three weeks just check your local garden center that get lots of annuals and you will find them I have been planting them for about 6 years now

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

so how is everyones coleus mine is doing great

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.