Blue flowers blooming now

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

In the past, I've always created this thread in the perennials forum. Then I've proceeded to cheat outrageously by posting mainly photos of annuals, bulbs, tubers, and rhododendrons. The Garden Talk forum probably is a much better place for it.

Please post your own blue flowers here as they start blooming.

This first one is Scilla Peruviana:

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

This is the first bloom on a new baby Gentiana acaulis. I had to prop it up with a little branch off the apple tree because it was nodding and I wanted you to see the lovely center.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I have three kinds of Lithodora and all of them are just starting to bloom. This is Grace Ward:

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

This is Lithodora 'Heavenly Blue':

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

And this is Lithodora 'Star,' sometimes called 'Blue Star':

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Nemophila:

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Omphalodes 'Starry Eyes':

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

This double blue Primula is my pride and joy. I bought it from ForestFarm years ago and it's the healthiest thing in my garden.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's another double primula that's almost navy blue.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Cerinthe:

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Heliophila:

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

The first of this year's Nigellas to bloom. Within a month, the entire garden will be blue because of these Nigellas. I threw some seeds in a bed about 20 years ago and I've had Nigellas by the carload ever since.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Cineraria:

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

This time of year, there are also huge swathes of forget-me-nots everywhere.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

This is so cool! Every time I came back to this page to post another photo, there was a new blue flower being showcased in the "Top Watchdog Ads." This is a very sophisticated new DG feature.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I like the new feature as well !

I'll post some flores azules manana.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Gracias.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Zuzu - here on the frozen tundra the only thing blue we might have are crocuses but we'll sit back and enjoy all the beautiful blue flowers that the left coast offers. I love your lithodora. Is it an annual?

I just checked my photos and the crocuses are more purple or purple and white, not blue. Have no fear, we'll catch up by May!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

pirl: Once your JI's get to blooming, you'll have lots of blue to share !

Sure! I only have three months to wait!

Thumbnail by pirl
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

BLUE coleus maybe ????? LOL

Not yet. We'll leave that to you someday when you retire.

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

Me, too, Pirl....hyacinths maybe, but more purple than blue. But I am loving Zuzu's!

The color of Zuzu's Nigella is enchanting.

It is, isn't it.
Hmmmm, wondering if it would grow here...

PF tells me that it will.
YES!!

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Fabulous photo, Pirl.

Lithodora is a perennial, which lives for years and years here reliably. I've often wondered why it isn't more popular throughout the country. It might be a Pacific Coast kind of plant. Everyone here has Lithodora in their gardens and every nursery carries it. I know the same is true of nurseries in Oregon and Washington because I see it offered on their Websites. I even saw it at the hardware store this weekend -- a 4-inch pot for $2.49. At that price, you could grow it as an annual and not care whether it survives the winter.

It might be in the same category as Schizostylus, another plant whose popularity doesn't seem to have crossed the Sierra Nevada range. That one's also ubiquitous in our three coastal states and almost unknown everywhere else.

Oddly, Plant Files says Lithodora grows only in zones 5, 6, and 7. Bluestone Perennials, however, says it's a plant for zones 6-10.

Thanks, Zuzu. I'll be looking for it at local nurseries this spring.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I've grown it here, but only as an annual. I think our summers are too hot and humid for it to be able to come back in the spring. Also difficult to find.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Oh I love blue because it goes so well with oranges, apricots and yellows! I planted many new blues in the past couple of weeks so I am waiting for blooms. About the only current blue blooming is the forget-me-nots. Hope to add more to this thread soon.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

I saw this in the desert a couple of weeks ago, too late for seeds this year but I want to get some next year for sure! Name on picture.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

They were such an intense cobalt blue!! I must have them!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Looks like Phacelia, Sue. Annie's has it. I buy it from her every year, but the cats tend to eat it before it blooms.

It is Zu, that's why I wrote that the name was on the picture, I was too lazy to type it LOL! I saw that it was on Annie's but I am not going again any time soon so I figured seeds would be a cheap way to add them next year.
Wonder why the cats love them so much. If they sprout easy for me, I will save you a six pack next year!

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, sorry, Sue. I enlarged the wrong photo, the one without the name.

The cats love Phacelia and Nemophila. Delilah used to eat all of my Corydalis as soon as I'd plant it. I can grow it now, although I'd rather have Delilah back.

Ahhh, sweet Delilah, she had good taste at least.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I think Dale's take on the lithodora not liking the hot and humid weather is accurate. For I too, love those 'perennials' but they haven't returned for me after many years that I've tried growing them. 'Graceward' was the ones that available locally each spring. I love blue flowers, but I begin to shy away from lithodora.

Blue pansies among other bulbs.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Pretty photo, Lily_Love. I'm sure you and JD are correct. Northern California, Oregon, and Washington have no humid heat, so that's probably why Lithodora grows so well in those three places.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful blues.

Oh, my, that primula from FF is to die for!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Yet more of my bad pictures: (lol)

Common Lobelia at base of new Enchanted Evening rose. (First blooms on rose)

I like how Lobelia is so generous with freebie seedlings.

Thumbnail by JasperDale

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.