Springtail damage

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi. I wondered if anyone else is having massive root damage from springtails? My potting soil (moisture control-miracle gro, lots of peat in it) is just full of them! Symptoms on the plants involved: leaves curling under, then they yellow and die.

I am sure there's nothing on the foliage as I'm treating that regularly. Also, no fungus gnats or shoreflies present.

Do springtails tunnel into the stems maybe-or might there be something in this potting soil that does?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm not familiar with what sort of damage springtails do, but have you checked your watering? Those symptoms could also be caused by too much water. The moisture control potting mix can be easier to overwater with than other types since it's got those water retaining crystals in it. Try sticking your finger down a couple inches into the pot and see how wet it feels--if it's really wet then I think that's your problem.

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

Actually, I misspoke. The leaves aren't yellowing or falling off on these particular plants.
It's always good to go to the basics to figure out what's wrong, but in this case it isn't overwatering. I treat all my (hundreds) of plants the same. It is only the ones (and all of the ones) where I see springtails running around on the soil surface.
The leaves curl dramatically-they actually 'roll up' (just that, in this case, it's underneath). On some plants, it's the side edge of the leaf that rolls/folds under, on others it starts at the leaf tip. These misshapen leaves do stay green and hang on.
I believe it's due to the plants (with fully developed root systems) transpiring faster than they can draw water up through their roots. If I completely enclose these plants, the leaf curling stops and new leaves grow out normally. (However, that's not an optimum environment for most plants). This has led me to conclude that the roots are damaged.
When I did attempt to wash the soil from the roots of one plant, so that I could repot it, there were no visible fine roots/root hairs. (In fact, rinsing the roots of this plant led to its death.)
So, I'm pretty sure this is what is happening, unless there is something else present with the springtails that I cannot see.
Curiosity leads me to wonder if something might be tunneling into the roots or stems. It also leads me to wonder:
Has anyone else has noticed similar problems using a peat-rich potting soil?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.