Anybody Know Their Frogs??

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Found this big guy outside today. He wasn't moving too fast for sure yet. I think he may just have come out of hibernation. We live in the woods with a creek nearby and the Potomac River close as well. In 22 years here I have never seen this kind of frog nor this big of a frog. He is huge! My guide indicates he may be a River Frog, but the geography is all wrong. Anybody know?

Juanita

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Juanita go to this link it may help................................. http://www.nwf.org/frogwatchUSA/index.cfm

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Dont know what he is but he sure looks healthy, hope he sticks around and eats all the yucky bugs for you
Christine

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

I would have to bet he's an American Bullfrog .

Description 3 1/2-8" (9-20.3 cm). The largest frog in North America. Green to yellow above with random mottling of darker gray. Large external eardrum; hind feet fully webbed except for last joint of longest toe. No dorsolateral ridges. Belly cream to white, may be mottled with gray.

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

My first thought was a bull frog, but when I tried to pick him up he went limp and played dead which is a trait of the river frog. He is very dark blackish green and his belly creamy colored and mottled. We just had a big rain and he has since gone back under cover. I'll keep an eye out for him.

Thanks!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

he's a cutie. I love toads and frogs.

we have those huge Bull Frogs... big green things in the pond next to my home.

about every other year... or maybe after we've had a heavy rain ... i'll see the babies when i'm mowing the lawn.

one year, after a really heavy rain... we found an adult in the garage... tough bugger to catch. then a few days later, i had the lil babies climbing all over my house and garage door. had to collect them and get them back to the water.

Any toads i find, i put in my flower beds to eat bugs.

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

Identification can be tricky when they first come out of hibernation. They tend to be darker in color and limp when they first wake up. Toads are very yellow when they wake up. He looks a bit lumpy too, which can confuse things, he may be about to shed his skin. If you have never seen this it is amazing. They pull their skin off like an old sweater and eat it as it comes off. The last to go in is the little hands and for a moment or two it looks as if they have eaten a little elf or another frog!

Anyway. My guess is bullfrog. He will brighten up after a few warm days.

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Jyl. I haven't seen him since Sunday. It has gotten a little cooler here again and I think he has gone back under the wood pile to stay warm. I go out everyday and look for him. :0)

Juanita

Highland, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm going with bull frog see the ear drums on the side of his head. Mine are soo small compared to this guy but when they first come out of hibernation they are black and don't look anything like they do later in the season. I actually heard the first noises out of mine today! Here's a pick of my 'baby' comparatively speaking lol

Thumbnail by ldy_gardenermd
Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Give him a big ole kiss---ya might have a real prince there. "snort" Laverne

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Great find! They are fantastic creatures for gardeners.

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

Our resident toad err- frog? Snug, :o)

Thumbnail by Snug_As_Bug_Rug
Orlando, FL

i had this frog show up he was a morph they said at university of florida, i saw the cuban tree frog mating with a toad

Thumbnail by blondhavmofun
Cocoa, FL(Zone 9a)

The morph is soo strange looking he's cute.. lol

As for the question at hand definitely an American Bullfrog great find ;)

FU, United States(Zone 9b)

Blondhavmofun, ... Holy Cow!! A tree frog bred with a toad??!!! Oh my Gosh!, that is amazing!! How goofy but absolutely cute looking!

Neener, yes, sure does look like a Bullfrog. I used to live in an area that was surrounded with them. They are huge but very friendly and they play dead sometimes, hoping you won't seem them. Love bullfrogs.

Sorry I'm replying to a thread that is old (I'm bad that way, lol).

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I have no idea what variety he/she is, but he is sure is a cute 'fella'? I agree with others who are hoping he will stick around to eat the bugs for you.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Just thinking. Maybe you could offer him/her a house of some kind, an upturned clay pot maybe with something under one side to lift it off the ground enough to provide a 'doorway'. Might provide incentive to stick around.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Jeremiah?

Jeremiah, what??!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Jeremiah was a bullfrog!

Oh and Neeners, that's a Bullfrog in your photo :]

Bullfrogs have huge long legs and large "circle-patches" behind or near their eyes.
And yes, they are great at playing dead.

Remember to wash your hands 'real good' after touching the bullfrog's "circle-patches".

This message was edited Jul 12, 2011 5:32 PM

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Jeremiah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2wutEzjy_E

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Neener. It's my boyfriend.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.