Would seeds be viable?

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I've got about 25 Goliath ? Amaryllis that are just about finished blooming. These are 20 year old bulbs. Usually I snipe off the stalks but this year I though I'd let them go to seed, but I don't do any hand pollinating so don't even know if they'd be viable seeds. The pods are hugh tho. Don't want to waste my time gathering them if they wouldn't germinate.
Suggestions?

They were probably pollinated by some insect. The seeds should be viable.

Well, I guess I'll have a boat load of Goliath amaryllis seeds then!! Thank You

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

What color is the Goliath? I an not sure I know that one...would love to see a picture and perhaps "trade" some seeds with you.

here's a pic.
for reference the little green fence to the right is two feet high. we put it up to keep the beagle dog from running thru the bed. don't really want more amaryllis tho...would trade for something different ( see want list) or SASBE tho.

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful picture!!! They appear to have a tinge of hot pink in them...is that true or are they more of a true red?

I just planted 88 little seedlings from my seed pods this year..have several more pods that are ripening....I cross different ones, but can't keep up with what is crossed with what, so I am hoping for some nice surprises in a few years. I have about fifty from last season that I managed to keep alive during the Winter months inside...and two or three that I didn't kill from a couple of years ago...so one day maybe I will have some pretty and unusual blooms...who knows. It is fun trying though.

I will check out you WANT list...lol thanks for the kind offer!

oh these are RED.. haha....I think the pinkish is probably just light/camera thing. I'm not patient enough to wait for seeds w/ Amaryllis.....

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

lol...I understand...I think each year I will NOT purchased new ones since I have so many little ones growing...but I ALWAYS give in to temptation and get some nice bulbs every year....can't have to many though...lol

The reds are hard to photograph for sure! This one is actually a little on the coral side...like the red in Minerva...it was spectacular this year...I have the name somewhere but I can't keep up with those things half the time...I used to be better at keeping the names with the plants, but with grandchildren and moving things about so much...it gets more difficult.

Thumbnail by JanetS

Well, It's just that the amaryllis are my D's SO thing, not so much mine. I'm more into the salvia's and vines. So there's things crawling around all over the place or blasting their way around. I "take care' or the Amaryllis tho...and of course, being the one who looks at "pollen" all over her truck and thinks ohhhh, maybe my plants will start w/ seed soon,,,
Anyway, we're getting a good bit of very much needed rain today and the if seeds dry on the pods fine ( I won't pull them till they dry natuerally, lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll maybe we can trade...
mj

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

sounds like a plan..thanks.

newbie here - how long does it take amaryllis to bloom when grown from seed?

too long

that is not very helpful....

sorry, I really don't know but I know it's a pretty long time from seed.

Mobile, AL

It usually takes at least 3 years, sometimes 5.

Some have said two years, but this is not the usual case.

I have some 3 year olds blooming this year.

I have had some this year that bloomed the second year but that is not the norm. Like HSteacher said 3 to 5 yrs.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.