What have you ordered for spring 2009 - Part 6

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

LOL mine too wha although I entice them with food and refreshing beverages. Hoping to get my umbrella trellis welded and installed this summer using this method of bamboozling.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Bill - you can always preview it first.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think it makes a nice change from the verticial perspective.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

autumn moon jm

Thumbnail by wha
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

What is the little woody to the left wha? It looks like it has some big fat buds on it.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

third time is a CHARM - note that this is a dwarf jm that will only get 3 ft. tall - it is already over 2 ft tall!

Thumbnail by wha

Nice. Looks like a heavy pot.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That is the perfect pot for it!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

dnut that will be a bush peonie if it ever grows up :)

here is shirazz budding out - behind this is all the wood i've cut up from the ice storm - a few years worth

Thumbnail by wha

Trying to train it to be more vertical?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

thanks d-nut - i have two of them and another jm will go in the other one and there are two others of a different design. tough to drill those holes!

well that was not shirazz - that was omure yama

here is shirazz

This message was edited Apr 3, 2009 4:16 PM

Thumbnail by wha
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Maybe just into catcradle garden decor? Tree peonys are luvly. It may be little but sure looking healthy.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

yes i am victor - i have a few that are posted up - and protecting them from being crushed by the snow

here is a viridis that will be moved to the left about 5 feet or so - the oil delivery guy drags his hose right past here - i have staked poles here in the winter - now i'll move to a safe haven - it grow alot in the two years here.

This message was edited Apr 3, 2009 4:14 PM

Thumbnail by wha
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Wow another immaculately clean and neat and tidy bed! I am such a pigpen gardener compared to alot.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

some daff's with buds

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

now a question - this a the trouble spot for me - the sun never really reaches here as i rises to the back left of this picture and goes diagonally across to the upper right - i've had a crimson queen in here (the big one i moved to the front) and the large coral bark that i moved to the back yard.

i am thinking about digging our the arbovitaes - replacing the two leaning over with two kerria's against the house and i have three Rodgersian tabulars coming that will take up the middle space - there are also x-mass ferns growing on the wall and ground

suggestions

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

another view

Thumbnail by wha

http://www.perennialresource.com/encyclopedia/view/?plant=475

Let the picture load and hang on a few seconds the picture will change.

I have a nusery here that sells this. I am going to get one :-)

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

sherrie your looking at krosssa Regal?

$10 at mason hollow nursery

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think some variegated foliage would brighten the spot and echo the white bark of the birch. Variegated dogwood or variegated daphne. Daphne might not be hardy for you?

For some reason I booked it and I "THINK" if you find what nuserys have them it will tell your area

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

MHN does have them. afraid to go there - i end up spending too much

dnut i have a golden shadows dogwood that needs to be moved may see if it would go here - yellow and green varigated - thx

others?

For under the birch, Bill, and the next level?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

next level - there are hosta' s all aroung the birch

d-nut may be onto something - i could move the kerria and plant the tubulars and put the golden shadow in the middle.- says part to full shade

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I have some sprouts from my 1st winter sowing - I started the beginning of March. I can just barely see some green.

I like the white variegated idea too. Would also pick up the house color. I'm assuming you don't want any JM's for there. Bishop's weed for a groundcover. Fallopia for a slow - spreading, interesting perennial. Red or yellow-twig dogwood with white variegation. It's an either / or thing. Don't want too much variegation. Itea will grow there. So will clethra if it's moist. Will give you nice fragrance. Another variegated to consider is eleutherococcus. I like a cascading JM from those rocks.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

the tubular will grow 3' x 3' and with the x-mass ferns for ground cover it will be better. I will have to look into your suggestions - i have clethra that are giving off babies right now - those are in full sun in the afternoon.

I've been thinking about adding some adding some dwarf jm's to the areas at the edge of the birch level. this wall has the same problem the other did - they set the stone length-wise instead of into the dirt at an angle. and it is leaning out - another project for another day or month. although i have enough of this blue stone to fix it and it is flat stuff and easier to work with than the round stone in the great wall.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Wha, Those Japanese Maples look wonderful, no matter which way you look at them. What about Inkberry Ilex glabra 'Shamrock' for you problem area. It would give you a nice dark green leaf to off set the birch. I like the canoes too. Patti

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?Code=A233 Patti

Thomaston, CT

Thanks for the suggestions, Patti---I've seen Deutchland, & I think I'll run with that. Loved the JM pot, Bill---guess I'm OK with mine in a glazed pot.

Sure. You might want to put it in a sheltered spot for winter.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Deutchland is airy which I like. Patti

The country or the astilbe?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I imagine there are some airy parts of Germany, but I meant astilbe. Patti

This message was edited Apr 3, 2009 9:17 PM

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow! Bill, you got a steal on that Komachi Hime for only $35!!!!!! I will have to check them out.

Karen

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Great haul, Bill! Sounds like there are some good ideas for you to check out.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

patti i looked at the link - looks like it was taken in full sun - this spot never gets direct sun and only indirect sun late in the day - would it still survive

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

The picture I took with the no Id Japanese Maple at my house is on the west side and gets only some afternoon sun. We have it also growing on the north side of the house and along drive which is quite shady. Here is a good site. It is a go to plant for us as it is evergreen, easy to manage, and not expensive. Patti

http://74.125.93.104/search?q=cache:SHarp4p01RMJ:plants.usda.gov/plantguide/doc/pg_ilgl.doc+inkberry+dirr&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Note

Quoting:
Inkberry is shade tolerant and grows in both sunny and shaded habitats, on dry to wet sites, and on sandy to heavier peaty soils. Flowering: March-June; fruiting: September-October, the fruits persisting into the following spring

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

That sounds like a good one that I could plant in my wet boggy area in our woods behind our shed.

Karen

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

here is my fairweather damage from today... we had a nice day there.... other than getting beat up by the wind

http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/vbc/onewish1/75173/

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

You have them in your journal already? I'm impressed. Did you have a good ride home? I enjoyed myself also. The company was great! It really was windy. So good to see you, Michelle, and venu again and meet Victor and Jen.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.