Japanese Painted Ferns

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I was wondering how these multiply.... or even if they do.

i have other ferns, i was thinking they are Cinnamon Ferns ... but not sure... but they multiply rapidly and by underground 'runners' so to speak. I started with about 10, and now, 9 yrs later i'm pulling them out by bucket fulls.

I was considering getting some of the Jap Painted but dont want to be over run by them in about 5 yrs.

any input would be great,

Terese

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Terese, I have several of my favorite fern which is the JPF and they do not spread much at all. I think you have the Osterich fern. I am always pulling mine or putting them in other spots. Somewhere I saw JPFs for $3 and change.. If I find that site again I will let you know. Everywhere else they want $12 or more. BEV
This one has been here for 10 yrs.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

another one.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Bev -- this is what i have now. I think this was taken in June. By mid-Summer, they are so thick, i cant even see my hostas.... so i start pulling or cutting them back. They are shooting up in the lawn and everything. Yes, i do like them.. .but they get to be a nuisance with how they over take everything.

the JPF seems well behaved.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Yes those are the Ostrich ferns. Another one that you would like is the Autumn fern. Her is the first one I bought last yr. BEV
Can't find pic right now but look them up.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Bluestone has JPF on sale now: 3 for $8.47. Mine are in their fourth year and while it's too early to tell right now, as of last summer they hadn't spread at all.

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Terese if you ever want to get rid of some roots I'd love to take some off your hands.Where I'd like them they can spread until the cows come home,and all we have is horses....LOL.

Synda

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

There is a co-op going on right now for a variety of ferns from Sissinghurts. They are VERY well sized and only$3.50 apiece. I received four Cinnamon Ferns and two Maidenhairs this week. I think JPF was one of the choices. I didn't need any of them since I have several already and mine ARE spreading abeit not aggressively.

Doug

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Doug -- yes, that is why i was asking... just picked up 4 of them.

Synda -- I have not had good luck with transplanting these things. For some reason, most of them do not "take" for me. I have no idea why.

I'm guessing if i got them early enough... i'd could send them for postage ... and then just hope some of them make it. and spread they will... if they survive.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Teresa, You do have to get them before they unfurl. I have tried it both ways and after they are up and the weather gets warm they don't make it. BEV
You also have to do it while the ground is wet to get the soil to stay on the roots. Some times they will make it this way if they are up and it is cool weather.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

I have moved them in the heat of summer with no problem, just kept them moist and they took right off.

Doug

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

I think it just depends like Doug said that they stay moist and that you get the root deep enough.

I'm willing to try some for postage if you want to be bothered.Now would probably be the best time to do it,with this silly weather.I just got the ones from the co-op and got them planted,but didn't get any Osterich fern.Not sure why,guess I was thinking all ferns spread.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

well, the snow we got has to melt first.... since these are all on the north side, along my garage ... it stay colder and damper [wetter] a lot longer.

I'll keep an eye on the area ... the snow should be gone by Tuesday, as we are expecting rain and 50's ...

I'll have to scour thru some old photos from my old house... they were really nice and tall there. When we moved, we brought a bunch and i recall about 10 survived... the following year they doubled, and kept doubling since. [they were planted fall of 2001]

I'll make a notation in my Trade Tracker, so i dont forget.

Terese

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Synda are you looking for JPF or Ostrich Ferns? I am getting ready to split a JPF in the next week or so. I do have Ostrich too but have to wait and see how many are coming up.

Doug

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Doug,
I'd like to have more JPF ,I ordered 4 but if they don't spread very fast,I want them around my big maple tree in the front of my house so, I'd like more and I always like to get momma things.She has a very bad heart and about all she can do is walk around the yard with help and look at all the pretties,so I'm trying to get her yard fixed up to.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Then how about a hosta or two for Momma to go along with the JPF? Dmail me with your mailing address (unless you're in the Address Exchange) and I'll send you some of both on me! This pic is of the hosta. I've had the "momma hosta" for years and have split it several times and still have plenty. It is a prolific grower. Not sure the cultivar.

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Doug, I believe that is a 'Lancifolia'. The color darkens a bit as the season progresses.
They are reportedly the first hostas ever brought to america.
They are an oldie, but a goodie! I love them! They will get big if allowed.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

wanted to share my 'ghost' pic I took today. I love it!!
It did not have this coloration last year but since I moved it, it appears to be very happy.
Love those veins!!

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh Doug that would be so very wonderful.Neither one of us has hosta.We just got our house 2 1/2 years ago and our yard alone is an acre and very baron,17 more for the horses.Moving and getting started can be so expensive.Especially when I'm buying for two.But I'd give to my momma before myself any day.She is my life.
And yes I'm in the exchange or I can Dmail it.And do you have paypal or would you like me to send you a M.O.?Let me know either way and how much.

Thumbnail by synda
Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Kristy that is beautiful!!!!!!

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Kristy that hosta has been ID'd on the Hosta Forum as Lancifola, Honeybells and a few others, so I'm still not sure which one it is! It is several years old and a transplant from a neighbor. I split it twice last year and the momma is still 18" across as the eyes are popping up!!!

Doug

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Doug - from the vein count & leaf fall I'm pretty sure it's Lancifolia, but I'm no expert. lol
Honeybells has rounder, more lime green & thicker substance leaves that are a bit wider. Still, who knows. lol
I do know if it's Lancifolia - those things are all but unstoppable! Exactly why I like them. Relentless & dependable year after year.

Kristy

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I've got tons of Lancifolia ... and I dont think that is it. The leaves are different.
http://www.hostalibrary.org/l/lancifolia.html

Yours sure is pretty though.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

I don't think it's Lancifolia either. My leaves are wider.

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug
Reno, NV

On a whim I picked up a Japanese Painted Fern at Walmarts and planted it outside. It frosted back to the ground and suprise suprise, she's coming up gangbusters right now! I'm pretty happy- Its hard to make things look lush and pretty in Reno NV.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Guys, Check out your local Lowes. Over the weekend they had gorgeous lush Japanese Painted ferns , very full about 6" tall for $3.97 each. Bigger plants than in a co-op and at a great price. If not for all the rain, I'd post a photo.

Atoka, TN(Zone 7a)

If anyone is willing, I would love to add some ferns to my garden and my parents also. I will use pay pal to pay for them. All I see around here is bostons. Just dmail me please.

Portland, OR

My half shade garden went to full afternoon sun when the neighbors cut down their trees; will my JPF's make it?

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

They should. Mine are in my front yard facing west. I had to have two trees taken down a couple of years ago and they now get lots of afternoon sun and they have done just fine.

Portland, OR

Thanks!

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

I'm glad to see so many people on this forum who appreciate the JPF as much as I do =) And I wanted to chime in with Doug and say that I moved my stand of them in early August last year. They all seemed to survive just fine and look good so far this year!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Stopped at Lowes again yesterday. Now they have really good sized "Autumn Brillance" for $3.97. Can't beat that for 6" bushy plants.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

stormy that's all you need is more plants!!! I've seen your pics! Like a friend of mine said, "What are you doing, trying to build a park?"

Doug

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh gosh, no Doug! There are lots of open spaces in my beds. Once the tulip/daff/alium and bleeding heart foliage dies there are lots of holes!!!!!

What's wrong with a home park? Saves on gas!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.