Wisterias In The Gardens

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

As I recall, Wisterias usually don't bloom until much later most year. Am I forgetful? Let's see Wisterias from your regions.

This is Japanese Wisteria that belongs to my neighbor.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Usually I thought they bloom much later than the dogwoods, here they're blooming together. Redbuds too bloom the same time as dogwoods this year.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Another neighbor's Japanese Wisteria.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here is one that's trained over a trelis in the neighborhood. To the right is a Saucer Magnolia that's still showing late blossoms.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Dalton, GA(Zone 7b)

the combination of the dogwood, redbud and wisteria is beautiful!

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Kim, that is a gorgeous display of blooms. And you know I think a lot of things are blooming early this year. Maybe it just seems that way because the last 2-3 years have been so unusual in one way or another, but I think you're right about the wisteria. Here in North 'Bama they don't bloom for another month or 2...I'm thinking early June. Our dogwood are really beginning to pop now that we have had this rain lately & the redbuds are about at their peak. And my Encore azaleas have been blooming for over a week. Some of the others haven't come into full bloom yet though.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Elaine, some of the Azaleas begun to pop open here too. I think rain and warmth stimulated premature blooms on certain flowers. Crepe Myrtle begun to send out leave buds, so I hope that means we're done with frost for the year, maybe?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Well, I declare....I'll have to retract what I said. We drove into town last evening for dinner and lo and behold I saw TWO blooming wisterias!! I'm just amazed still at the early (I think) blooming.
Kim, I sure hope we're done with the threat of frost. I'm anxious to get some things in the ground, but right now it's too wet too!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Kim this is my white wisteria. the rains have ruined the blooms.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

My purple

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

another view

Thumbnail by Riverland
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Even with rain-bitten, the white Wisteria is lovely, Cindy thanks for sharing the pix. How old is your white W.? I've planted two (I think), they haven't sent out flowers in years.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

It has been in the ground 2 years and has bloomed both years. It was a nearly dead at Lowes.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

It's funny, of all these years, I've not seen white Wisterias blooming in the woods, along the roadways. But this spring I found them! Once I spotted them, then I saw more of them along the highways among others blues blooming Wisterias b/w here and Ft. Payne Al. (North of us).

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone, we've an exceptionally short, mild winter. Once again, the wisterias in the garden, as well as in the wild are in full bloom.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Mine popped pretty early and I am sure these rains are going to put and end to their beauty

Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Those turned out very nice Cindy.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Love the wisteria!!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

the pictures are beautiful!! I wish i had some to offer of my wisterias, I think amythist falls wisteria is blooming up now but the blooms are still tiny not fully opened. and my regular purple ones never bloom, perhaps its cause I have to keep them pruned during the year so they don't take over the yard.

I have a pink one that is 4 years old and no blooms I haven't pruned it in 2 years, stil no bloomes, and I have another named variety out back and it's about 3 years but small danny pruned it and I know it wion't bloom this year, maybe next year. I keep hanging on to the fact that i'll get blooms soon, but nothing yet, it must be in the pruning, although some i don't touch and they still don't do well.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Charlotte and Kathy Ann. The total amount of sun per day the wisterias are getting may be a contributing factor for the blooms? See that arbor, I've one planted on each side. The west facing vine bloom up a storm this year, whereas the east facing vine hasn't bloomed in years. So there. Kathy, I've an Amythis Falls that's forming buds now too. Our climate does ring true. Spring arrived way too early this year.

Hi, Lily. Your wisterias are gorgeous! Good to see you posting!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Yes Kim I think the sun is the major thing wisteria needs to bloom! I've given up on having any in my yard - just too much shade. I'll just have to drive around and admire what's growing around town. We do have some beautiful wisteria here!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Elaine for the welcome back. Charlotte, same here, what I've retained all are in containers. I made my share of mistake with wisterias in the garden. I'm still trying to rid of the ones I planted in the ground -- for many years. We live and learn.

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Just beautiful Kim!!! I bet the fragrance is like burning a candle in your yard with everything that is blooming!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.