'Giant Powder-Puff Dahlias'

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Has anyone tried any of these? If so how big are the flowers? Thanks muchly. http://www.kvbwholesale.com/store/dahlias/giantpowderpuff

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

I've had some not-so-pleasant experience with this company. Let's just say; they exagerate a bit.
'Blue Bayou" at Accent's site looks to be about as large as my fist. Nice, but it ain't jumbo or dinnerplate. Unless that dinnerplate belongs to a dieting person.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I've been skeptical about the description too. A Canadian supplier who can also use 'expansive' descriptions is advertising the same thing. I'm also wondering if they retain a nice form in subsequent generations. They sure have a variety of looks in the PF pics.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

ginnygail grew 'Lucky Ducky' last year. Perhaps she will comment on it's bloom quality.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Great! She will now how it was for tubers too!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I've had Lucky Ducky and Blue Bayou. Neither were great for tubers but they were both fun to grow. Mine came from Accent, not VB!

Hardly dinnerplate sized! Here's a photo with bees on the blossom so you can be the judge of the size but maybe it was 3.5 to 4" in total width. Lots of blooms!

Thumbnail by pirl
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks pirl. Bee magnets are a bonus! I think I'll try a 'Boogie Woogie' next year.

Marquette, MI

This may come through twice--if so, excuse.

I grew Lucky Ducky last year and loved it!!! A beautiful plant--long stems for cutting--very prolific. Not the size of a dinner plate. Maybe two to three inches. You will love growing Lucky.

As for tubers--let's just say there were enough for me. Maybe a couple for Grannymarsh. Hope you have the luck I had with Lucky Ducky

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Dang... those are some BIG BEES..

Ginger

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.