Clematis beginner needs advice

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

I'm a novice as far as growing clems, although I planted several last year that are putting out new growth. I just purchased a box of 5 "The President" from Sam's Club for about $13. Should I put these directly in the ground, or is it better to start them in a pot until they sprout? Since these are Size No. 1, is it okay to plant more than one in the same hole? Also, would this variety be appropriate to grow in a large pot with a trellis?

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your threads and admiring your photos of your beautiful clematis.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

There are alot more experienced Clematis fans here than I. Here is whatI usually do:

Buy clem. If it is a few years old, or already very well established, I put it outside.

If not (from a box store) I pot it up and put it in a window for the first year. I keep the vine trimmed back to get the roots going. Make sure when you water you do not get the vine wet, just the soil. You may want to bury the root/plant system a few inches deep so that if there is any breakage, you still have some of the vine under the soil. The next year, I plant the clem, usually in February or so. Being in 8b (as I am) this is a good time.

I did this with a Ms. Bateman last year. They were put into a contianer in February this year, with a trellis.

On the other hand, my first year gardening, I bought a Niobe from WalMart and dropped it directly into the soil next to my house. No amendments, nothing. Here is it it's 3rd year.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2009 6:10 PM

Thumbnail by jlp222
Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

That is a beautiful vine! Although these Presidents are young, they seem to have a very good root system. When this awful weather passes through in a couple of days, I may just put them directly in the ground. At least the ground will be softer.
Thank you for sharing.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Yeah, she is a beauty. She currently has about 6" of new growth. I can't wait to see how she does this year.

As long as your babies have good root systems, I don't see why you can't drop them in the ground. Good luck, and let us know how they do.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Are these "Boxed" Clematis just bareroots?...Jeanne

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Yes, they're bare roots, although some are beginning to sprout.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I personally like to grow out immature Clematis in a 1 gallon container for a minimum of 6 months. Why? Because it is more important to have them develop a good root system. The root system is what is going to provide you with multiple stems and hopefully lots of flowers. If the plants you bought were not sold in 1 gallon containers then you need to re-pot them using good quality potting soil with bone meal, which will encourage root development. Please give them time to develop. Do not fertilize them as you are trying to develop roots not flowers. Keep them well watered and don't let them dry out. They will reward you for being so diligent from the very start!. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31692/

This message was edited Mar 26, 2009 10:30 PM

Delaware, OH

shirley, when my spring orders arrive first week may, embarrassed that i have about 40 new clems coming in...i am going to pot up the smallest
and take your advice.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Sharkey..make sure and soak your bareroots before planting in your one gallon pots...they need to be rehydrated to flourish...Jeanne

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

jlp - what a glorious photo of Niobe. It looks so great on the trellis and against the brick!

I followed the advice of both Jeanne and Shirley and potted up several clematis I bought last year. Two didn't make it (saved digging time) but, so far, I removed Crystal Fountain from the pot and the roots were astounding! One day more and they'd have emerged from all the bottom holes of the nursery pot! Now it's planted next to a Bluebird hydrangea and I hope it looks as good as this when it blooms.

Thumbnail by pirl
Delaware, OH

jlp 222 i love the coleus near the niobe. i have some nice displays of niobe, and am going to see if i can work in some coleus nearby after seeing your photo. it is a nice combo!
sounds like you have a knack with the clems....good luck and have a great spring and summer season.

jlp 222: What a beautiful Niobe that you are growing next to your house! Good job!

niobe/Guru: 40 new Clematis! You go girl!!! Where did the majority of them come from?

Jeanne: You're so right! Definitely re-hydrate Clematis that you have recently purchased. Do the same thing with Roses too.

pirl: Your Hydrangea combined with Bluebird Hydrangea will look amazing. I look forward to seeing this wonderful combo growing together!

Delaware, OH

shirley i have orders pending from brushwood gardenvines, paradise garden, plants delight,silver star vinery, and a friend that has a gardenstore has placed a special order for me from BlueBird.
i think brushwood is wait listing for omoshiro, but not sure when they will be shipping, fall?
brushwood has a nice wait list ssytem on their web site, which is much improved form when i used it a year or so ago. very good customer service. and deb fischers roots from silver star and her shipping method are amazing.
not sure about the other 3 sources, as it is my first time using them.

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Since I have 5 that were very inexpensive, I'm going to perform an experiment. I'm going to put a couple in the ground and put the others in pots as Shirley suggests. I'll let you know how it goes.
If you clem experts don't mind my asking a very stupid question, what is going to keep these potted roots from sprouting and growing vines during the next 6 months or so? If you people keep posting those gorgeous photos, I'm going to be tempted to spend entirely too much money on clems this year!!!!!
Thank you all for your advice.

Thanks for the tip regarding the wait listing at Brushwood. I'm going to hop over there and check them out!

I never purchased anything from Paradise Garden, so I can't give you any feedback. Plants Delight Nursery is excellent! Their plants & shipping are expensive, but well worth it. I've actually been to that nursery during one of their open houses a couple of years ago. But, I purchased Hostas at that time, which they are very well known for.

Sharkey: You can definitely experiment with your Clematis planting some in containers and some directly in the ground. Just remember to keep them both well watered because dry roots = dead Clematis! I don't mean to belabor the point, but many newbies plant their Clematis and then forget about them, can't remember where they planted these babies and/or go out of town. If Mother Nature does not provide 1" of rain per week, then you must be diligent about remembering to water them. You should always try to remember to make a permanent marker for your Clematis when you plant them. Once you start growing different varieties, the tag will be a very helpful & important reminder.

HINT: I add a couple of polymer crystals to my digging hole and container to help with the moisture retention.

It's not a dumb question. Yes, your Clematis will most definitely sprout and grow. If you have a lot of growth, make sure to give them something to grow on. The ones in pots can be trained up a small trellis or inexpensive bamboo canes. I usually purchase 3 bamboo supports per container and form them into a triangluar shape. Secure the top of the canes with garden twine. They will wrap their tendrils around the supports and start reaching for the sky!

Good luck and feel free to ask questions. That's the best way to learn.

ADDED: Excessive drooling is allowed & encouraged, however, no bibs are provided! View these gorgeous Clematis pictures at your own risk!

This message was edited Mar 27, 2009 1:21 PM

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Aw, thanks guys!

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Shirley, for all the wonderful advice. Last year, I spent almost two hours daily watering during our drought because I had so many peppers, tomatoes, and flowers planted with no sprinkler system. I got carried away planting seeds indoors, then when most everything lived, I ended up with too much to take care of. I guess I thought I had to have one of everything that bloomed. I couldn't even leave town overnight for fear everything would die. This year, I'm trying to show a little more restraint, but thank goodness I planted a lot of perennials. I had the most luck with mandevilla, but let them freeze on the deck, unfortunately. It remains one of my favorite.

I have a question about one of the few clems I planted last year, but will start a new thread for that problem. Looking at Jeanne's clem photos last year is what started my interest in them. Maybe I'll eventually have as much luck with them as I do with the mandevillas, especially since they are more cold hardy.
By the way, I've already purchased markers with a paint pen (last year my Sharpie markings faded.)

Delaware, OH

Sharkie, you are right on that,sharpie pens do fade on markers. what kind of a paint pen do you use? i still use sharpies and trace over it when they fade. i have bought other perm marker pens but never found them to be long lasting either. have tried many many kinds over the last few years.

"Paint Pens", available at craft stores and paint stores, work very well for me. Deco Color pens are also very good.

I've given up on Sharpies and can't find the one they sell (somewhere but not here) that supposedly is like the Paint Pen with real paint.

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

I was at Tallahassee Nursery the other day and asked for their advice. They sold me a paint pen by Garden Helpers. I'm sure Pirl is right--most any craft store should have them. I also purchased some permanent metal labels/markers for my perennials.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Heres what I do to remind me to water the clematis rather more frequently than the rest of the garden!

The pic is something called an Aqua spike - it has several small holes . I get them from LeeValley but cant find them in this years catalogue so hope they still carry them

I sink the Aqua spike into the ground up to the lip, fill with fine sand and then a 2 litre pop bottle with the bottom cut off fits in the top. I use clear ones so they are not so noticeable but enough that I see them as I wander the garden and they remind me to water - frequently! I just fill up the pop bottle , sometimes every day and it seeps into the ground

I have one at the base of almost every clematis ( if the roots are close I might put it between them) and a few other things too that like to have wet feet.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Delaware, OH

good idea, i need to go to a craft store anyway and will check out marking pen options. now that i have re marked and labled too many plants to count, too bad i didn't have my thinking cap on before i whipped out the sharpie last weekend!

Always check the point to be sure it's what you want. They sell fine, medium and wide points.

Delaware, OH

good point. haha . couldn't resist that! i am going t get some and put them in my garden bag and be ready for new marking and faded ones. NOMORE SHARPIES!

Ha! Good one!

The wide points take up much more space on any kind of marker. The very fine can be so fine that it's not easy to read. Medium seems to be the answer.

Delaware, OH

i'll go with medium.
have a good one!

I have been using the Deco Paint markers for years. Yes, they are much better than Sharpies, but nothing is absolutely perfect. I've had to re-mark several of them because being outside in the sun & elements, they do fade somewhat.

Delaware, OH

i recently heard of clear shellac or nail polish over the lable to help it last. but i probably won't get that organized.

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm following the thread here and have a question. What should the bare roots be soaked in? Plain water or water and H2O2 or some other concoction? And for how long?

many thanks!
d

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Evison says soak in water for 10 minutes/

Delaware, OH

i hydrate a lot longer than 10 minutes. i soak the hole and let it drain 2 times. then fill it again and soak the plant until it begins to drain. refill. as it drains start to back fill. this way you are also checking the drainage of your hole which is always good to do.
getting the ground saturated around the hole is as important as saturating the roots, so moisture in the roots is not taken by the surrounding ground.
was at a demo in calif a few years ago with mary toomey, who is my clem guru , and she def soaked longer than 10 minutes.....
of course there are many methods and the plants seem to be able to adapt!

i never put anything in the water, but i have heard years ago of a fungicide being put in. i would not do so unless needed and trialed.

OK Thanks! And just to be sure, I'm talking about soaking before planting. It sounds like ClematisGuru is talking about saturating once they are in the ground.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes Evison is talking about soaking the root in a bucket before planting,
Then do what Guru says

Delaware, OH

no , i do that advance saturation right in the hole to accomplish a tandem goal of saturating the ground and the roots. i use the hole as a bucket and fill/drain multiple times to accomplish both missions and check the drainage at the same time.
we call it "swimming pool" and save time with this triple tasking to get a better hydrated root into well saturated ground!

Delaware, OH

yes ! use the hole as your bucket so you can check drainage an dsaturate the ground around the hole. many fols saturate the plant root but not the hole and surrounding ground.....this technique i came up with really has helped me get a better planting accomplished in less time.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

im going to try your technique this summer Guru!

Thank you for the clarification. Makes good sense and I'm all for saving time and effort!

Delaware, OH

fancyvan, i think you will find it easy. i came upon it when i had a lot to plant and made it "factory" style, moving the hose from hole to hole......

one big planting tip...DIG THE HOLES EARLY...weeks even before the plants arrive. this takes all the decisions and heavy work out of the planting experience which makes it so much more enjoyable.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I soak bareroot clematis just like I do my bareroot roses..usually overnight and then pot them up the next morning...Jeanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.