Book from my Student Days

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I remember reading a book (or at least a short story) in school - say 8th or 9th grade.. Trying to find the name and author so I can re-read..

The basic premise was this: Assimilating the community to achieve perfect communism. In other words, "dumbing down" the smart people so that everyone had a fair shot. I remember kids participating in a school race, the faster children being electrically shocked so that they didn't get too far ahead of the slower kids. I also remember other kids wearing shocking helmets that would lower their intelligence if they said something too smart, also to keep them level with the lower educated.

Anybody? Any ideas? I really wish I remember who wrote it ... or even more details about it...

This thread has 12 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!