Fascinating new use of compost

Chillicothe, OH

Is this neat or what? I can't wait to try this. Article said particularly good for leafy vegs like lettuce, but not appropriate for root vegs. But any of you, like me, stuck in the city and strapped for cash, this gives us hope for having a garden of our own without spending much more than the cost of seed packets and the effort to track down some 5gal buckets...

Melis

http://journeytoforever.org/garden_con-mexico.html

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Liquid organic fertilizer- great euphemism!. That will come in handy on some of these threads.
Interesting. Thanks for the link.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

My wife's gonna just love this! I deposit a little LOF off the back deck nearly every evening!!! "Honey plant your tomatoes right there..."

Doug

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

Great minds think alike:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/962052/

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I kid you not: a wonderful gardener, friend of mine, used to 'store' his 'effluent in liquid form' in plastic milk bottles on the back porch and twice a month he would spray his plants.

The most gorgeous garden full of Rhodies, Azaleas, and whatever you want..... it was magic!!! (the plants, not his milk bottles)

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Ha Ha Ha..........welcome to the world of pee tea. However if you want the maximum nitrogen it should not be stored. The compost pile is a great place for it or you can side dress a row if you add the new found nutrients roughly dead center beween two row crops.

As early as cave man men have advised their mate to plant there....grows better there just a few steps from the cave entrance. LOL

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

P T...Fess up! Are you helping the plants near the entry? =:0)

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

I will fess up and agree that I may fit the "red necker" category. See here....a rule of thumb. "pee there compost tea there" but only if it's needed which is rare if one moves about like the rest of the animals in the kingdom. Only man tries to put it all into one ugly place. Think about that. Show me a sanitary system anywhere that is not a stinking miserable mess. :) The best free and wild discoveries use to grow along the railroad tracks....know why? :)

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

well - those guys were always "on the go"!

Seriously, I prefer the layering of components in the Fall - it works just like it's supposed to.
However, there are those times when speeding up the process would be nice.
Trying to strike a balance between the two is difficult. Trying to help a new gardener understand this all has been quite educational. She doesn't want to wait - she wants it ready now! I told her to check her impatience at the garden gate, or she'll implode from the weight of her frustration. Or, she could spend some seriously huge $$$ buying the chi-chi organic bagged topsoil: 2 cubic ft for $25.00!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.