surprise in greenhouse

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

This morning when I went out to work in the little GH, I was greeted by worms. We had heavy rain yesterday and I guess they moved to high ground. Now I'm wondering if I should start growing them, too. They were just the gray garden worms, but they had egg sacs on some of them. I put them back in the yard.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I always get big juicy night crawlers here after a rain. I scoop them up off the cement and put them in the flower bed. Poor guys, I hate to see them suffer on the cement.

What an easy way to get more worms, I'll have to put them in the veg garden from now on.

North of Heber, AZ(Zone 6b)

Oh, you are so lucky to have worms! When I moved here to the juniper/ limestone/ clay no-rain belt, there were NO worms. No topsoil, either. I have imported worms from Gardens Alive and someplace else, I forget, and a few have stowed away on plants I have bought. My soil has improved slowly in various places, due to adding horse poop, chicken poop, and in some non-vegetable places, dog poop. Plus hay, straw, garbage scraps, garden cleanups, sulphur, and soil from a very piney location in town. But I am as excited as you are when I go dig and find worms anywhere!

BTW, I read in a DG forum that when the worms are found on the surface, after a rain, they are looking for, um, sexual partners. But if some of yours already had egg sacs maybe that is not always the case. I have never seen worms with egg sacs, what do they look like? (In case some day i get lucky and see any.) 8^)

Here is a great article about worm, um, sex. The bump on the worm is the baby making area, it grows and gradually slips off the worm. They do the hoochie cootchie head to foot. How cool is that?

edit: add link

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/562/

This message was edited Mar 26, 2009 4:59 PM

North of Heber, AZ(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the link, now I know everytthing about worms! Even that nightcrawlers are earthworms, so if I buy a package of them at the bait store I will not only be saving them from certain death, but I can put them in my garden. And hope they feel romantic.

Wait until you see the price for worms, outta sight!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.