Hand pollinating Vinca and Torenia

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

Ok, feeling silly here. I have some flowers that have started blooming under my lights indoors, so I figured this was a great time to try my hand at pollinating. Some flowers make it easy, the petunias and Abutilon are perfectly obvious.

Two others though, are a mystery. Can anyone tell me how to pollinate Vinca or Torenia. I can at least see some parts of the torenia that are obviously the stamen and anthers... just not sure which is which, and don't see much in the way of pollen.

On the Vinca, I see nothing! Is it all just tiny, or hidden somewhere...? It's funny, but the center of this photo makes me think there's something there, but in person it looks like there's nothing there. Maybe I need a magnifying glass!

Thumbnail by klstuart
Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

I can commiserate with you about figuring out what goes where when pollinating different kinds of flowers. If you can find some fluffy pollen then there is usualy a pistil or some kind of fold or on iris there are three places on the sides near the center where to put it. So think and study the parts when you find pollen look close and wonder where it goes and a magnifying glass can help you find it too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.