Playing with moss photos

Claremore, OK

I'd like to see other photos of what people are doing with moss.

I have several types that grow where I live. I was thinking of trying to do something "sculptural" with different kinds of moss.

This moss I got going by accident by leaving some moss I gathered on this railroad tie that lines a walk in the woods. It has been there several years and is currently doing what I guess is blooming. Pictures of what I'm calling it's flower (because I don't know what else to call it) follow in the frames beneath.

If someone can I.D. this moss, that would be nice.

Thumbnail by darlindeb
Claremore, OK

Here is what the same railroad tie looks like today March 24th. You'll notice it has a reddish cast to it.

The next frame will show a close-up of what I guess are it's flowers???

Thumbnail by darlindeb
Claremore, OK

Flowers ????

Thumbnail by darlindeb
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

beautiful use of moss deb. The flowering is really cool too. And to think that I work hard to get rid of moss in my pavers but I really like it the way you've been able to give it some form.

Claremore, OK

Thank you Doss.

I've been trying to figure a way to incorporate some of the different types of moss into some artsy thing.

Here is another moss that grows in the woods where I live.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2009 7:03 PM

Thumbnail by darlindeb
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That's so very beautiful. How lovely it must be to have enough rain in the summer to keep moss!

Chillicothe, OH

i read somewhere recently the Japanese' secret to lush mosses in their gardens is they water them with the rinse (and I suppose the cooking water too) from rice. The starches in the water apparently is exactly what mosses dream of.

I'm guessing we could also use water from pasta, potatoes, soup bean rinses? Can't imagine it could hurt.

Has anyone tried the 'moss in the blender with buttermilk, then spread where wanted' method of 'planting' moss onto things?

Melis

Claremore, OK

Thanks for sharing about the "rice rinse" Melis. I've heard the buttermilk blended moss treatment; however, I've never tried it myself.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I have moss growing on some rocks and bricks in my gardens and just love it. BEV

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

My gardening friend has an incredible moss garden in Richmond. The beds are raised for the shade loving plants with a "Moss lawn".

Thumbnail by Pigweed12
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is some moss growing on a piece of log in my shade garden. I have a lot on old bricks.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.