Kona Snow

Kealakekua, HI

Thats what we call the coffee flowers. From a distance it looks like the trees have a dusting of snow on them.

Thumbnail by mlassi
Kealakekua, HI

The trees were at their peak Friday but I didnt have my camera :(

Thumbnail by mlassi
Kealakekua, HI

and to show how beautiful yesterday morning was. this is Lanakila Congregational Church.

Thumbnail by mlassi
Kealakekua, HI

and lastly a pheasant

Thumbnail by mlassi
Keaau, HI

Hi Mlassi, do you make tea from the discarded red fleshy part of the coffee cherry?

Kealakekua, HI

No I dont. The pulp is used for compostor put directly under the trees. We machine pulp the coffee at work. I think if it was hand pulped it would be more attractive to use as a tea.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

TEA? From the discarded pulp? Oh, Dave...do explain, please. ARe you talking about tea for human consumption or tea for plant consumption????

Keaau, HI

The dried red fleshy part of a coffee cherry makes a refreshing tea. It is commonly used in Yemen.

Dry the flesh, chop it, and add a heaping teaspoon per cup of water. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, let sit for a few minutes and strain it into a cup.
It is pleasingly sweet!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Lovely pics of the Kona snow, I can imagine how wonderful all those coffee flowers smell! Our trees have just finished blooming too but they look much more straggly than the ones you grow in Kona.

Got to try the tea recipe!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Just told DH we have to try that!!! We compost the pulp (and pull out coffee seedlings for the next year!!! as many 'floaters' aren't really bad and they sprout) but this year....!!! Jenn...I'll send you some!!!

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Wonderful, wonderful!

Note to self: go to Hawaii in March! Love coffee, but I never smelled the flowers (a slight problem, being in the same place at the same time kind of problem...)! I need to know!
Alexandra

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Coffee trees are related to Gardenia...and the fragrance while not as strong is similar. My greenhouse is out in the coffee orchards, with citrus trees blooming as well and the fragrance is terrific. Now...if it would just stop raining we could smell it. I fear not a large crop this year....or....it will all come at once!!!!

On the wet/cool side!

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Somehow, looking at the coffee leaves, that's what I imagined! Cool!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.