Color pairing question

(Zone 7a)

Some of you are much better than I at pairing plants. I would like some suggestions for a clematis to go with 2 roses and a red castor bean I have ordered. The 3 will go together on/near an arbor.

I was going to get "Blue Light" but I see so many beautiful ones, I'm not sure now.

Should I stay with the "hot" colors or cool it down? I know it's a matter of preference but I would still like some ideas.

Top left, Westerland. Bottom left, Betty Boop. Center, red castor, Carmencita. They will go with this arbor.

(Not my pics except the arbor.)

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I love those salmon colors! I'm not good at clematis but in terms of color, I use (wear, paint the walls, etc.) that salmon-pink-orange with periwinkle-cobalt blue. I find the two colors do nice things for each other. (At least, in my bathroom they look good together!)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I would definitely go for something in the purple/blue sort of color range--I think it'll contrast nicely with the colors you have in the roses. I'd also go for a deeper color vs pastel blue/lavender. I don't know that many Clematis cultivars so I don't have particular names to recommend, but those are the colors I'd go for.

(Zone 7a)

Perhaps this one? Clematis "Multi Blue". (Photo: Bluestone Perennials)

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Isn't there a Clematis forum now? Someone there would now about blooming time, shade/sun, all that good stuff. That is mighty pretty, though.

(Zone 7a)

I posted over there. I didn't know we had Clematis Forum. Thanks.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

First I tried it with Ramona, more lavender than blue:

Thumbnail by pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Then I tried with Multi Blue.

Will they bloom at the same time for you? Is that what you want?

The Castor Bean Plant gets huge here.

Thumbnail by pirl
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I love blues and purples with coral/orange/salmon tones. Blue and orange are complimentary colors (opposite each other on the color wheel), so that would be stunning.

(Zone 7a)

I hadn't thought of blue with orange but it's logical. Someone else suggested it elsewhere. If I put white underneath, that would be pretty, too.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh yes, I love white flowers with everything.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Nice show of choices Pirl.

I think the Multi blue would make the salmon colors pop and be a good contrast. White whould be very nice, but maybe like a taller white phlox.

Kwanjin, I like the arbor and your choices for color and contrast.

Edited for a better answer.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2009 12:33 PM

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

This might be obvious but here's what I've learned so far. I'm not that great at color combining but it seems that colors opposite the color wheel contrast nicely together and pastel blooms with lighter foliage go well in front of a dark background and bright hot color against a light backround. I'm still trying to get a grip on the contrasting foliage concept : )

White does go with everything, but I've got pure white bleeding hearts with cream colored narcissus and that looks bad, oops.

Second, Annies annuals website has some slide shows that have some really amazing color combos. I love to look at her website for inspiration, I can look at it over and over again. It's really quite good.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

wonder, the white bleeding heart with the cream daff would bother me too, kinda makes the daff look dirty doesn't it? I've found the same thing with pastels in front of dark colors (or even a dark, shadowy background), they simply pop when combined that way. Lately I've been really fond of using pastels in front of dark foliage plants. In the last couple of years I've added 'Black Lace' elderberry and 'Black Jack' sedums to a bed of pinks and whites (as well as some black hollyhocks). Its been a nice effect.

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

ohhh, cool! that just made me think of dark foliage hebe i saw at the nursery and almost got. "Turkish" was name i think.

(Zone 7a)

Oh no! LOL There goes hubby's next paycheck!!!

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

whoa, you tooo? i feel sooo bad but i can't stop myself! He doesn't seem to mind, understands the value on so many levels : )

(Zone 7a)

At least it's me who does the bills! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.