Purple Hamamelis?

Salem, OR(Zone 5a)

This past year I found a purple Hamamelis virginiana in my nursery and I'm pretty sure it's a one of a kind. I've showed it to Mike Dir and Don Shadow and they said they don't know of such a plant. So my question is, does anyone know of any obscure, little known purple witchhazels? I'm trying to verify this plant doesn't exist yet.

The leaves are dark like a beech, hold in the sun, the stem is purple, the sap is purple and the roots are purple. It's very dominant in color.

Thumbnail by johnnyvino
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Wow, Johnny, it's a beauty! Looks like you've got yourself a winner :)

Navan, Ireland

Hi Johnnyvino,

I have checked some of the literature here and there is no sign of any purple form of H. virginiana, the closest being 'Sandra' of H. vernalis and 2 mentions of a 'purple' form of the same.
I would suggest an email to the Royal Horticultural Society in Britain (www.rhs.org.uk) to see if they have any record of such a plant. Good luck, I hope it turns into new and exciting.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Beautiful colour to the leaf. I hope you've found something new.

Your tree looks very interesting. Were you able to verify whether or not something like this already exists? I know that I'd love to have something like that in my yard.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.