germander

Hampton, GA(Zone 7b)

Has anyone grown germander? Any information would be appreciated. Main question is: Do I need to cut it back almost to the ground this spring? Also, is it pronounced "german-der" or "ger man' der"?

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Hello, lace. I haven't grown germander (emphasis on 'man') but found this article that may be of assistance.
http://www.storeybooks.com/main/herb/he_pages/herb_ids/HG212A.html

Alison

Schenevus, NY

i live in zone 4. I moved my germander form another warmer zone. I do not prune other than the dead wood. Its not very big..but i have moved it several times. Last yr i split it in half so i could put on either side of entrance.As usual by end of season something else is all over it. Last yr it was the catnip. If you want come spring (i could send you some cuttings if you want to try it that way) I read the link about it, and i have to say i have never protected it, but i have lots of snow cover. so maybe that helps.

Hampton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Erioberts for the offer of cuttings. I have a lot of plants,,,,(well, I tend the gardens at a Bed and Breakfast and they have lots of plants). My problem is that it is getting kinda leggy,,,less bushy......and I was hoping I could cut it almost to the ground and would come back better. I guess I could cut one of them back, as an experiment. It looked beautiful all last spring and summer and flowered many times. Wonder why more people don't grow it.

Salina, UT(Zone 4a)

eiroberts,
What is germander used for medicinally, and also, I would love a division if the offer is available! let me know.
Thanks, birdie

Lancaster, CA

Lace,
Why not try a pruning instead of a cutting to the ground. It will bush out if you prune. The one I have in my backyard (zone 8a) desert country is fairly woody. It's well covered with foliage but I wouldn't want to do a severe prune to it. I haven't had to so it isn't a problem but if you go slowly it won't hurt and you can always do a more severe pruning.

Hampton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks,dsrtgdn----that sounds like a good suggestion. Will try that.

Schenevus, NY

right now my germander is under about 11/2 foot of snow and ice. as i remember it was not too big last fall(i have 2) i planted them at an entrance to a garden(visions of formal english type gardens) my garden is anything but formal. anyway let me see what happens in the spring. I would be glad to share. I have been off the web for awhile, sometimes computer drives me crazy and i have to just shut it down and ignore it

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

I grow germander as an edging on a couple of my flower beds and find if I do a light pruning each spring it stays busy and green. Love this little plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.