more dumb questions

New Boston, NH

Being part N.E. Yankee I can't bare to toss the poinsettias after the holiday ,would like to put them out in a container for foliage do the need preparation and do they like the sun?The other issue is we have fences every where being a dog kennel so I'm always looking for new vines to dress them up.Saw Humulus-Hop in Greers has any one had this and would you recommend it?

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I had hops and would definitely not recommend it. Was nice the first 2 or 3 years. Then it got completely out of control. When I dug it up two years ago, the root mass was the size of a large truck tire.

New Boston, NH

Well I will pass on them do you recommend any other vines?

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

For perennial vines - clematis or non-spreading honeysuckle. For annual - non-spreading morning glories, moon flowers, hyacinth bean or black-eyed Susan vine.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Make sure the vines aren't poisonous though if you be putting them around the kennels.

New Boston, NH

Victor once again thanks for the assist,I have settled on two Lonicera 'Lemon Zest' and got a free Rhody at the same time as I renewed my membership to the ARS.

New Boston, NH

What about the Poinsettias any suggestions? (compost)

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I have kept poinsettias for many years, in containers, over-wintered in the GH. They are great; fast growers, but never got too large to manage. Only went through the trouble to get them to time the bract process to coincide with the holidays once, but it wasn't that hard. They do it on their own, if you don't mind the timing.

They like a lot of sun, but will burn if not careful when first put outside in the late spring. Younger (smaller) plants like a bit more protection from the burning noon sun.

Remember, they are a member of the euphorbia family .... sap can be an issue for some.

New Boston, NH

Thanks Willie I'll give them a shot.

Abington, PA(Zone 6b)

gamekeeper, Remember that the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.