I live in zone 8 b, we had snow 2 x's this year

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Everyone told me that I would be able to leave my Cannas in the ground, but there is no sign of them growing yet. It has still been in the high 30's and 40's in the night and mostly below average day time temps too, in California, they are not in heavy soil but it has been wet in one area because of the rain and cold.

Do you think they should show signs of coming back yet. How can I check? If I dig up a Ryzhome, will it be hard or rotted looking or how could I check it for life?

This message was edited Mar 21, 2009 8:36 PM

Thumbnail by hellnzn11
(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

what are your day time temps so far? Your highest days? Mine are just now starting to grow and we have had temps in the 80's for a while. did they get water periodically during the winter? I have to water at least once a week where I live .. don't worry, they will come back. I am colder than you are.. had temp as low as 12 this winter. Mine are growing.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Oh good, we had a lot of rain for us and evenly spread apart all winter, the day time temps have been in the 60's and we had one or two weekends where it was in the 80's and a week in the high 70's, but mostly not warm often yet. Which is unusual for us. Thanks. I was so worried. I want to get more varieties, since I see how many different ones there are. I love them.

they are probably still just barely waking up underground.. they will spread their roots before showing up above the ground. Give them a little more time.. they want the day time temps a little warmer.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Ok thanks, I keep looking but nada.

Well, if you are that anxious, you can always put a shovel in the ground and see what is there.. I just dug up and moved a lot of my cannas.. they are tough and can take being disturbed very well. Just put the shovel straight down just outside where you think they should be .. go down about 5 inches and the bring up a clump of dirt and see what is there.. if there are rhyzomes there, they will come up in a big clump... at least mine do.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Yeah I did that tonight and saw some of the dwarf ones looking a bit too well, but there were roots so I divided them and well soo, they were a little wet in that soil so I added some leaves and stuff to it. Some of the tall ones from the pictures just started to poke up. Thanks. Some not yet but we will see soon I hope.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Our snow and cold periods are never enough to effect cannas....they go on forever!

"eyes"

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Well as predicted they have all started coming up in the most unwelcome spots, where they will block short plants so I must move a lot of them soon. I will leave some but my goodness they lived in a bog... Who would have guessed. They are pretty hardy for tropical plants ha? Man, I so have the bug to buy different colors and types now, since it is next to impossible to get such success here in the desert. I really love them. What varieties do you love. I have seen some awesome ones on daves. I should put in on a trade list. I never did it though and don't know really how it works. I will though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.