Get Your Wisteria "Fix"

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

I love to see bees it means everything is good with the world, and it is a perfect day

Crown Point, IN(Zone 5a)

You know, that's how I feel about my bees by the catmint - they could really care less about humans, just the plants. Do you find they're a problem being right by your house LouC? I'm really shocked by how all of you in the warmer zones can almost see this plant grow by the day - must be amazing. As far as taking so long to bloom though are you pretty safe if you do buy one already in bloom at the nursery? Has anyone else heard that the American variety blooms more consistently once it is mature - that's what the nursery here told me.

last summer before we figured out that we had been sitting on top a huge hive
they built it under the deck which is about 4 feet above ground they got the dog poor thing got swarmed and got three stings on his face
the hive was over 18 inches across had to spray it twice before we could go into the back yard again I hated doing it but it was the paper wasps and they are so nasty
its not like I could move it

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

It's true, most bees aren't interested in people--they're too busy gathering nectar. I work among them all summer when I go out to deadhead and weed my butterfly flowerbed and they have never bothered me. The biggest reason my wisteria was planted way out in the yard is so that I can let it grow very big but it has nothing near that it can grab onto. I will keep it confined to it's split rail fence which will allow it to get plenty big. Since mine is a two-year-old plant, I don't think I will have to wait too long for it to bloom. And, yes, down here you can almost watch them grow :-} Some folks like to say they will grab trees, dogs and small children if they stand still long enough.

they grow like that here to but only for six months of the year
my trumpet vine now four years old is still only three feet tall I hope it takes off this year
just one bloom would make me very happy

Crown Point, IN(Zone 5a)

you know I had the same problem with my trumpet vine at my old house a few years back, I wonder what the problem is because most people find that vine to be so easy and vigorous. I watched mine seem to struggle for about 3 years before we moved so maybe this will be the year for the big leap for you!

I hope so before I get mad and go and buy a bigger one and plant it at the other corner so they could meet one day and shake branches hahahahah

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Hello Ladies. flowerfantasy here. I think or hope one of you all can help me. I bought a chinese weateria last fall and it didn't make it thru the wimter, so I now have some starts from a lady here on DG and some are rooted and some are cuttings. Can anyone give me some tips on what to do for these to keep them alive and how to start the cuttings? Any help would be appreciated.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I haven't rooted wisteria but have had moderate success rooting other hard wood cuttings this winter.Cut them at an angle just at a node, dipped in rooting hormone and put into Miracle Grow potting soil. Watered every third day and misted on the other two days. First time for me and I was thrilled. Mine is dormant in the winter so perhaps yours just hasn't "come to yet" since you have been such bad weather.

I don't usually save the seed but should anyone want some this year, I would be happy to send them to you. Of course, that will be later in the summer before it sets seed. I would be devastated if it were to die.

There is a propagation forum, perhaps you could get better advice there.

Christi

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

I am in the propogation forum but I thought as this was a specfic forum I would get better help here. I have tried so many different things people have said to do that I really don't know what is right and what is wrong. I know that there really isn't no right or wrong ,just what works best for the person, I just have no idea where to start with the cuttings.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

Which Wisteria would be best in Kansas, zone 6 and which would be best in Florida, zone 9??

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

OH, and is it harmful to cows??

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Just now found this thread while looking for some-thing else.
Read through the whole thing & have a couple of comments & recommendations, by no means an expert but have researched this plant as I have the Chinese variety. Mine blooms twice a year & the fragrance is wonderful!

flowerfantasy,
I recieved several cuttings about 8 years ago---some, I tried the root-tone, planting about 5 or 6 inches in the soil---others, I took the entire cutting, wrapped it into a circle, & placed the whole thing in soil.
The ones I placed entirely in soil were the only ones that took.

DIRTYGIRL,

The seed of the wisteria are poisonous, so I would say, YES, harmful to cows. Also, the Chinese Wisteria grow wild here in Florida & can be so invasive in the wild that it chokes out trees.
If grown in the garden/yard need to be kept in check & on a VERY sturdy structure.

It is a rule of thumb that wisteria, whether from seed or cutting takes 7 years to bloom.

Don't mean to sound like a know-it-all----just did a lot of researching.

To all:
Getting ready to move mine in a week or two as the trees around it have grown to close for comfort---will have lots of cuttings.

good luck moving it, if it a mature vine hope you have a backhoe since the roots go very deep and also very wide, and it will come back in that location unless you kill it

good luck

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh my I might not be alive in 7 years to see it bloom :( but sure hope so.

Camillia. How did you do the wrapping and putting it in the ground? Did you have to soak the cutting in water to get it to bend enough to make a cicle out of it?

It's still a fairly young plant so shouldn't have any problem moving it.
As far as it's comming back---don't really care if it comes back, will be a lot smaller & easier to control than it is now----just getting a little to large for the space it's in.

Don't like killing plants unless it's an absolute have to!!!

No, don't use the old, thick, harder growth---use cuttings that are about the size of your little finger, about two foot in length or longer. Wrap it into a circle, over lap ends, tie off with twine, & place about five or six inches into soil. Do not keep soil wet as you would with other cuttings---water about once a week. This can be done in a pot or in the ground.

Oh, forgot---No, you don't need to soak the cuttings.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

OK, I have some that are the small tender ones so I'll pot them up that way and see what happens. How long will it be b4 I know that it has worked. I know lots of questions but I have never tried starting any semi or hard woods b4.

They should show signs of life in about two months.

I'd start extras just to be sure one or two take, as you know sometimes plants are finicky. LOL!

You can always trade any of them you don't want!

GOOD LUCK! Let us know if they make it.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Ok thanks so much for the info and will let you know.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

plenty of buds awaiting some warmth...

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

lots of blooms for you

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

OH>>Yes... and they did right well ... ok.. just a few pictures... it's the least Ican do with the wonderful joy it has bestowed...

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

another

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

OK.. the last one.. a close up...

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gordon, That is a beautiful Wisteria and a breath taking view.
Mine is going to town, also. We didn't get the arbor built so it is still sprawling all over the driveway.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Lovely it is Holly... the arbor is easier than getting it to bloom like that.. although it requires building near it and pulling the wisteria over to it... I have two for a client.. I have to retrofit a trellis to.. it doesn't look like yours has ever seen a cutting blade.. do you have a plan in mind for it.. what type of arbor are you thinking of..
wisteria in the evening

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

my sister got me one for my birthday should have by next week yes my first wisteria cant wait getting impatient I still need to figure out where its going
I am thinking of the front of the balcony (deck) whish is about 7 feet off the ground and then I can train it to cover the whole front of it about 40 feet across should work right

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gordon, Mine is very old and practically freestanding. There was at one time two fence sections under it and I wove it thru the lattice of one of the sections. About all that is left of that section is the frame and it's in pretty bad shape not sure that it is giving any real support anymore. Oh yes, it knows my clippers well. LOL It is growing near my side entrance between the driveway and patio, so I do have to keep it somewhat contained or I wouldn't be able to get in the house.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

that is so beautifull mine will probably take years to get big enough to bloom like ten years or more

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

will wisteria kill a palm tree ?? that's the only thing I have in my yard ((and the only trees)) for something to even climb like that.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I was expecting to build the new Arbor a couple of weeks ago but it got pushed back so I will wait for another month or so. It will be a big arbor approx 16 X 16 and about 8ft high. One corner will go right next to the Wisteria and it will span the drive way area. I have a potting shed right across the drive from the wisteria and it will make a nice little shaded area where I work. There is a stone path that comes around from the front of the house to the drive and then on back to the patio. There are plans to remove the stones in that part of the drive and replace them with brick. Pretty labor intensive so who knows when that would get done but I do have the brick. Once I get it up overhead I should be able to let it free without much trimming.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Scicciarella, I think it took 3 years for mine to first bloom. That was when I found out that I mixed up the Wisteria and Trumpet Vine. The Trumpet Vine was suppost to go in this spot and the Wisteria was to go out front. By that point I wasn't going to dig anything up and move them. LOL
Looking down the driveway. It's a bit messy as I have been pretty busy potting and digging. The Arbor will sit right over the drive from the Wisteria to the Potting shed about 16ft and come down the drive about 16ft. It will not sit up against the side of the house. The walkway from out front will not be under the arbor.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

One more close up.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

that is so beautifull wow and trained like a tree love the idea maybe I will do that with mine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.