Spring Bulbs - What's Blooming? III

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

How about a new thread as the old one is getting lengthy again....which is a good thing!

Here are some spring tulips

This message was edited Mar 21, 2009 9:38 AM

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

A Rembrandt-style tulip

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

"Menton" tulips

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

...more Tulips, in a container. Thanks Steve for the new thread.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

They are all so beautiful! Can't wait for mine to bloom. It will be awhile yet, got another inch of snow last night.

Kannapolis, NC

Thanks, Steve. I have Tulipa `Negrita' budding barely out of the ground:

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Steve, They are from this week. More out today. Pictures coming later from DH. Love that pale yellow tulip. I am still a long way away for tulips. But so enjoying everyone else's. Thanks, Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Kannapolis, NC

Steve: What is the yellow one at the top of this thread? It's gorgeous. I also like the Rembrandt and Mentons. Oh, dear, more going on my list for this fall.

Angie

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I just checked my journal and I am hoping that nice yellow is perhaps Fosteriana Tulip 'Sweetheart' which I ordered through one of the coops last fall (25 for 8.75). I always love the pale yellows. But I too would love the name for next year. Patti

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Leucojums (Summer Snowflakes)

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks GayLynn- yours will be coming along sooner than you know!

Patti, glad to hear your flowers are finally up for this year - looking forward to seeing your blooms as I know they'll be awesome as every year!

Hemo, congrats on your "Negritas" - that is a terrific tulip and I have grown it many times. Do you mix your colors together or plant as individual clumps?

Kannapolis, NC

Steve: This year I planted them as individual clumps for impact, along with alternating groups of `Shirley,' but I'm getting so many wonderful ideas here that I may plant some mixed colors this fall. Yours are stunning. What is the yellow one?

Angie

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Narcissus "Tropical Sunset"

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Angie,

I think the yellow must be Mrs John Scheepers from a collection I ordered from White flower Farm - the only other yellow I planted was "Big Smile" and that has already bloomed.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

This is "Dreamland, another single late

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Kim, I didn't do any container tulips this year though I did do container daffodils.

Here is a wider shot of the back yard - I look this after work yesterday. We are mowing today :-( Weeds and grass are getting long, LOL

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Part of the front bed - I even have a handful of tulips coming back for the third year. They're declining here and I can never expect to have lots of perennial tulips here in the south but I am happy a few have made it this long

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Sparky enjoying the flowers

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Here';s a view of part of the front. D. Irises are getting ready to bloom soon.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Steve, I concurred with everyone that you're the King of spring bulbs!!! Love your planting style too. I can almost hear Sparky 'thinkin' Happy Spring. lol.

Here is a small bed on my front yard where clematis et al is going to take over the early bulbs show. Muscari and lilium, foxgloves and other perennial are eager to join in the parade.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

That is great, Kim - love your Muscari. How long have you planted Clematic?? I planted that for the first time this past fall and I am getting LOTS of growth now. Got mine (two plants) from Klehm, my all-time favorite on line general nursery. I have read they follow the classic sleep-creep-leap rule and so am not expecting flowers for awhile.

Thanks on the Bulb King. but I think I am only a Bulb Prince...LOL Patti didn't you say you planted like 10,000 bulbs annually or was that someone else in your neck of the woods?

Everyone, would love to see some of your garden-wide-angle shots so i can see your styles and get some ideas. I love to see how everyone gardens!

Steve

This message was edited Mar 21, 2009 11:19 AM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Steve, I planted most of my clematis back in '04. And yes, they need time to 'sleep, creep then leap'. Also depends on the pruning group (I'm still learning my clematis grouping). Proper pruning helps them do their best. Here is a wide angle of my spring garden. Sorry it's not current but this will give you an idea.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Los Altos, CA(Zone 9a)

Tulips Madame Lefeber aka Red Emperor (Fosteriana )

These have returned and bloomed for 5 years now.

Thumbnail by chrisw99
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Very pretty, Kim! Love the lush "greenness" and I go for that look too - all the pretty trees as a backdrop, etc.

Los Altos, CA(Zone 9a)

Tulip Purissima aka White Emperor (Fosteriana)

my first year, but supplier says they have seen clumps that are 20 years old

Thumbnail by chrisw99
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I have heard the Fosterianas are good perennializers, Chris. I don't have any of them but did plant white Purissima at my old place and I got good return from it. I planted some species tulips for the first time this past fall and I see from the door they're blooming today so i'll go out in a bit and take some new photos. Some of my Single Lates are popping up again from last year and I even have a few blooms from three years ago but I would love a truly perennial tulip here. I may try some fosterianas next year.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Steve, not so many as that ever in a year. But we have hit 7000 for 2 years in a row. Insanity. Not much out yet here. The second of my spring iris reticulata is starting. No yellow on this one, 'Clairette'. I planted a mess of these. Can't wait to see them as a mass along with everything else. Sparky is adorable.

Chris, great posting, brings a smile to us in the east. I planted 10 Purissima in the fall of 2007, so I hope they return this spring. If they do, I will plant many more. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
somewhere, PA

Lily_love - are those liriope lining the beds? Lovely design!

Tam

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Tam, those are the dwarf variety of mondo grass (?). They love the shared pampering of my flower bed, and they multiply wildly now. I like the Mondo grass border as they were then -- 2 years ago. Now, I'm facing the task to dig them up. And my dogs love to camp out on the 'cool' grass during the hot days of summer is another draw back.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Took a few pictures today despite the drizzle and cool weather.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

This one is pretty.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

First tulips noids of the season. They are very stubby ones.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

This one is very delicate looking.

My plant ID markers are no where to be found. Darn those garden faries. They seem to be swiping them agian!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

I forget what these are, but they are sweet!

Found the receipt. These are Puschkinia scilloides var. libanotica

Link to Brent & Becky's
http://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/spring/productview/?sku=37-0101

This message was edited Mar 21, 2009 12:50 PM

Thumbnail by BeaHive
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

It looks like Puschkinia, they're just getting started here.

Thumbnail by claypa
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow! Those are so pretty. Now I wanted more, lol. Here are some more crocus.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks..you are correct. I now remember buying some.. Now I will have to pull my invoice to see which variety.

somewhere, PA

We're just getting started with the bulbs here. The crocus are pretty.

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

Iris reticulata line the steps to the house

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

Beahive - what is the first daff you shared today? Its lovely.
I was browsing Brent & Becky's bulbs and saw something similar -
Double Smiles or maybe Sherborne?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.