Tree Wisteria-any experience needed

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Is there anyone who has experience with this? Have seen it in White Flower Farm and they say it's grafted but it is $150.....Stark has for $20 but I'm sure MUCH smaller and doesn't state that it's grafted. Found one article saying it's full sun and one saying in HOT areas that it likes mid day shade. Anybody in St. Louis area with experience with this? Or anybody with suggestions on best place to buy it from?

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

It's likely a wisteria... that has been pruned to a standard form.. this can be developed over a few years... or just cut once and tied up... hince the differences in price.. other than grafted or not.. grafted will give you assured blooms hopefully.. now with either... you'll have to maintain the idea... Pruning often.. or you'll end up with a big vine climbing onto the closest thing... or growing through the lawn.. as a ground cover... rooting all the way.. till it finds something to climb on...

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Keeping a wisteria in tree form is a challenging, ongoing hassle.
It must be aggressively pruned annually to maintain a 'tree' form.
I tried it 10 yrs ago, but long ago gave up.
Mine is still alive, but grabbed ahold of some nearby unsuspecting tree...
Now it's about a thousant yards high and I'm thinking 'tree form' no longer applies.
Unless you're really committed to maintainting tree form, it's more trouble than it's worth.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks for your experience. I had to chuckle when I viewed the thing 1000 ft up.....I got the evil thought to plant it rght next to the neighbors 30ft high bamboo that they planted at lot line. Have a bad feeling the bamboo is gonna out grow the "clump" and am prepared to take advance strike. Could the wisteria become the new anti-bamboo weapon? LOL Don't worry I'm not really serious...at least till bamboo invades my veggies then ALL bets are off :)

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

well.. I do suggest pruning more often than annually.. no wonder it got away from you.. especially thefirst few years.. then later.. maybe you'd only have to prune it every few months.. rather than every few weeks...
Wisteria Vs. Bamboo Chineese wisteria develops leaves first.. then flowers... perhaps it's to combat the bamboo there with shade first.. In the title bout.. wisteria would never loose.. but then again.. it would take more than a wild rampant wisteria to phase a expanding clump of bamboo.. if your're in a wet location.. my money is on the bamboo..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.