SIGNS ALREADY!!!!!!

Kansas City, MO

I was checking my beds last night and cannot believe it!!! there is already swelling in some of the fans. This would be nearly 6 weeks ahead of last year. We have had unusually warm weather and could easily get a cold blast before all is steadily above freezing but I am shocked. Forsythia is blooming already in places. It is bizarre. Last year I noted the date when each cultivar bloomed and it was all starting in the middle of May. This could be an extraordinary Spring for early beauty or it could be killed off by a cold snap. I'm just watching the forecasts....

Lebanon, OR

can not believe it but some of the MDB will be blooming in 10-14 or less, if sun HAHHA comes will be sooner as they have the bloomstalk up and swelling well.

D

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Last year I had sdb's and even Jane Eyre blooming on March 27th. This year I haven't found any buds yet. Hope to finish the weeding before they start appearing and I end up breaking them off.......(not always the most graceful......)

Lebanon, OR

Well out 14 150 rows we are down to 1 1/2 rows yet to finish on just the medians but need to get them finished fast for the same reason Neil! Then want to fertilize the medians, seedlings, guest and Biancos fast ...

D

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

No swelling here yet. Alot of big green fans coming up, what a sight.

Weston, WV(Zone 6b)

Me too, no swelling but the fans are popping up all over!!

This message was edited Mar 20, 2009 5:04 PM

Hebron, KY

What does it mean "swelling in some of the fans"? What is swelling?

Santa Ynez, CA

bloom spike, bloom stalks are starting to show....

Owasso, OK(Zone 6b)

Yesterday, I noticed swelling in Dollop, first to bloom for me last year; Little Edenite, Tantara, Shooting Sparks and Velvet Bouquet. Haven't looked today, it's raining. These are in my back yard, they always bloom before the ones in front yard. It's odd, I only have 1/2 acre, so they're not that far apart. Getting ready to give my camera a work out.

Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

Saw the robins yesterday! A lot of the snow had melted in areas that get full sun, but still 5-6 inches of snow in the shade. Nothing growing yet. Woke up this morning to more snow! Can't see the ground anymore, and it is still snowing and 30 degrees outside. Only a little over 1 inch, so hopefully it will melt soon.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

The first of our reticulated Iris are blooming their little heads off. This one came mislabeled. I think it is 'Harmony'. But I am pleased be able to add more of them every fall no matter the color. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Hebron, KY

makj,

Thanks for letting me know. Mine aren't at that point, but I'll sure be looking for it!

I haven't had any of my Irises bloom yet, even the ones I planted in Fall 2007. Maybe I'll get blooms on the ones I planted last Fall, and all that I planted the previous Fall. :-)

Marilyn

Raleigh, NC

oh Patti, how lovely! don't think I've ever seen anything like that.

there was ice in my truckbed this morning, but the early daffs have already come and gone. midseason daffs are about to pop.

Found my missing thumbdrive, so now I have names for all my irises. there's a swelling on Wish Upon a Star.

Winnsboro, TX

I'm so thrilled that so many of you are having buds and swelling going on right now. We've had beautiful weather here for over a month. The past two weeks we had lots of rain so along with my blooms, bloom stalks, and so forth I have tons of companion weeds. I just hope I can get them under control before the irises here are at peak bloom in about 2 or 3 more weeks. I just love to see Spring Blossoms come but along with them come lots of unwanted weeds.

Looks like my Iris beds will be in full bloom just in time for EASTER. I can't wait!
Marian

I have Lady Friend, Rare Edition, Griffin, Brat, and a ton of others starting to bloom. I have to walk the entire place each day or I'd miss something peeking out.

South Hamilton, MA

Went to our iris meeting today--pictures of the JI convention last year. Came home & found the still half frozen ground. Pictures make you forget, but I will say our crocus are starting to bloom. The location in the garden makes a difference. I think that all the snow has cleared from the siberian bed.

Santa Ynez, CA

saw several stalks coming:) several dwarfs about to pop, Firestorm had two blooms on it already....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.