Can anyone id this animal

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have posted on wild animal forum but thought I would get a word in here.
I have no picture because it ran across the road in front of my car in full daylight.
I thought it was a weasel or a ferrit but too big to be a ferrit, Long body with cat like head.
The coat was red chestnut and it had a black full almost bushy tail.
I thought it might also be a Fisher but the habitat isnt right.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

It wasn't a fox? How big?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Not a fox because it was too low to the ground and didnt have the long nose a fox has.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

no clue

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

i hope its not a Fisher, they eat cats.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

they do have a cat like face
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal)

link didn't work... try that one

This message was edited Mar 20, 2009 6:09 AM

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

ah... just copy and paste it... the stupid ) is making it not click able

Try copying and pasting this one - if it dont open

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/CCcard/FN-391-200~Short-Tailed-Weasel-Posters.jpg

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

you link worked... amazing how all these cute animals can be so destructive

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thats a weasel or maybe a ferrit.
This animal was fatter and bigger. with a black tail.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

fisher

Thumbnail by onewish1
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is a Fisher.
I just cant believe thats what it was.Fishers live in pine forests and arent seen usually.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

We cross posted.lol

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

GMTA

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

If anything gets hunrgy enough it will come out,or if it has rabies it will change there habitat.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

not good

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

That's why if you see a raccoon in the day time it most likely has rabies.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

'Fishers live in pine forests and arent seen usually." You are sooooo very right. Very seldom see one but I have heard them many times. You are also right that they eat cats....it's a Delicatessen for them!!!

And small dogs

The hummer web cam just scared the crap out of me. The Coati drank out of the bowl. Freaked me right out.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I saw that the other day... same reaction

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I really cant believe it was a Fisher.
I saw one once but remember it being bigger than the animal that crossed the road. I was parked at a light so had a long time to watch it.
Guess this goes into one of lifes unanswered questions.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I would have guessed fox as well.

New Boston, NH

I have seen several Fishers in daylight and at night as well our area has plenty.They keep the cats thined out that slaughter the birds so I like them.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

send them to my moms town... they are over run with strays

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

had two fisher's living in an hickory in my yard a years few back - had to warn the lady next door she has four little dogs and a cat

i hope one comes back and gets my new neighbors cat from across the street - they just moved in last fall and their cat has decided my yard is where it should poop - not happy - either the fisher gets it or i may have too. not sure if asking them to keep it out of the yard will work - it is a cat after all and it will not even let me pet it - maybe it knows what i'm thinking????????

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Maybe a pine marten?
We have a pine marten in our backyard. Some are darker colors. Ours has a much darker face.

Thumbnail by cyndiehook
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Wow - not familiar with that one.

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

I think there used to be a lot more of them. The harvesting of forests has contributed to their decline. We found ours when we were wandering the woods behind our house. Very cute thing. looked the same as pic, but almost chocolate face.

South Hamilton, MA

Certainly looks like a ferret to me. Someone's escaped pet?

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

If you are near water, it could have been a mink or even a river otter. I saw something similar this week but it was near the creek. My next thought would be a fisher.

Don't pine martens eat squirrels? If yes, then send me half a dozen!

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

I think they might. I had never really heard of one until I saw it and then had to figure out what I was seeing. I looked for some links to explain what they are. This one is probably one of the best. It just goes to show you how little we know about what is around us.
http://epedia.pbwiki.com/Pine-Marten

Never heard of them -till now.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

nice looking animal

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Good thinking Cyndie, i'd forgotten all about them . Never see them anymore, come to think of it!

Thomaston, CT

Have seen fishers at the brush dump---also by our reservoir----but their fur is dark, not red. Baby coyote?

South Hamilton, MA

That is a weasel's face, ears are wrong for a coyote.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I have heard rumors of Fischer cats in this area, even though it's not part of their range. I have a friend who is positive she saw one, also, and she lives in the same town as I do.

Karen

South Hamilton, MA

The Fishers are here on the north shore.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm inclined more toward weasel, Fox is too tall and doglike.
Thanks everyone for the try.
Fishers are viscious,and like a tasty cat for a meal.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.