Parents, granparents, aunts and uncles out there!!!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Has everyone seen this???

http://safecosmetics.org/article.php?id=426

What exactly should we bathe our babies in then if all the baby products have these chemicals in them?

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

how about something organic or all natural

http://www.eves-best.com/natural-baby-care.htm

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

That's why I never bathed my kids until they went to school.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I knew about this when my DD's started having kids...they did their homework. It's sad.

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

What a darling picture!

Our little darlings deserve the best we can afford on their skin and what we feed them - first, the lotions and soaps on their skin and second, the food we put in their little tummies.

I've gone organic with my little one where possible - for lotion, you can use something as basic as coconut oil. For shampoo, I use tea tree shampoo (she has cradle cap and this is good for dandruff). I love Burt's Bees stuff, but some other good brands worth considering are: Avalon Organics, Jason, there is a lot of good stuff out there.

I could start on a 30 page soapbox on the importance of giving our little ones the best chance possible with good nutrition and minimizing the usage of harsh chemicals (from laundry detergents, crib mattresses), but I don't want to be banished from this lovely forum! :)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

hear hear!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

That's a pic of my friend's son.

I don't know why I didn't know about the soap and shampoo.

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

It's not easy - there is so much INFORMATION about everything these days - you almost have to specialize in a topic to become well-informed.

I think for me, it hit me when I was pregnant - I remember the old adage, my parents saying: "if it was good enough for me, it's good enough for you" - and the food supply in this country has become so polluted that few children have the opportunity to eat as we did as kids, or our parents/grandparents.

For lotions and soaps - same thing. I guess I'm more of a traditionalist - my baby daughter Lindsey gets a bath 1-2 x per week, no more - and I just stick with a very basic minimal ingredient lotion - minimal scents, no glitter or fancy packaging. :)

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

How old's your daughter?
There's really no reason to give them baths more frequently.

I remember seeing an episode of Oprah where there was a single mother of multiples(maybe 6???) and they were showing her routine...the 1st thing she did every morn(they were only like 1 month old) was give them a bath...they were screaming the entire time...then she fed them...WHAT???!!! Hello!!! feed them first!!!!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I loved giving my kids baths before bedtime and stories, but I think it was usually just warm water, no glitter or chocolate sprinkles. Yes, exactly, why on earth wash them THEN feed them???

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.