Worms - Can I put them directly into my soil?

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I do not compost, but I am interested in getting some worms to help aerate, and of course poop, in my soil. Will this work? Is there a certain kind I need to get.

Thanks ; )

Palmer, AK(Zone 2a)

That would be a waste of money. If your soil doesn't already have worms, there is something wrong with it--and any worms you add will just go elsewhere.

A better method would be to add lots and lots (and lots) of organic material, and the worms will come on their own.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks. I do have some worms, but I figured, the more the merrier.

Define "organic material". Leaves, compost etc.?

Palmer, AK(Zone 2a)

Define "organic material". Leaves, compost etc.?

Organic material is anything that was alive at one time. Kitchen scraps, grains, vegetable scraps, meat scraps (NOT recommended), leaves, compost, lawn cuttings....

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Very good. I do a sort of "modified lasagna garden" in my beds. I layer and layer until about January then let it sit and rot. Then I turn the soil and add some composted cow manure.

Palmer, AK(Zone 2a)

Sounds perfect! :)

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the help. Here's a stupid question: Do you have worms in Alaska?

Palmer, AK(Zone 2a)

It's not a stupid question. Yes, we have worms in Alaska. In the winter they burrow down below the frost line (3-4 feet down), and manage to survive just fine.

I keep my worms in a Can O' Worms in the garage (winter temperature around 45F). Iin a prolonged power outage, I bring the worm bins inside to keep them from freezing.

The first year I had worms, I fed them 80 pounds of kitchen waste. That is pretty darned impressive, in my opinion. :)

This message was edited Mar 18, 2009 10:25 PM

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Wow, 80 pounds! I would love to get a composter, but I am sure the kids, dogs, husband would get into/be offended by it.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Used coffee grinds will attract worms like you put out a "GOLD RUSH" sign in your yard...please note that the worms do not eat your organic matter. As the organic matter (veggie peels, Kitchen scraps, grains, leaves, compost, lawn cuttings) decomposes, minute organisms feast on it to cause this "breakdown." The worms, in turn, feast on the minute ORGANISMS. So, the more breakdown of organic matter you have, the more smorgaasbord the worms will enjoy. Think of it as a free pass to the cafeteria!

P.S. When you see yucky, moldy looking stuff, REJOICE, because the worms will come!

P.S.S. The smaller you chop up those scraps before you throw them in, the faster they will break down in your compost...I sometimes put mine into a large plastic cookie jar (from Sam's/Costco) and leave it for a coupla weeks/months. It turns into a yucky slushy mess, and I just pull a trench straight down the center of my compost pile, pour it in and close the trench up, being careful not to let any scraps or odors escape. The exposed scraps and odors are what attracts unwanted wildlife and rodents who come foraging for them...

Hope this helps.

Linda, who is about to sift her latest haul of compost from last year's pile.

'thar's WORMS in them 'thar leaves!'

This message was edited Mar 19, 2009 8:42 AM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I need to build myself a sifter. I was at Lowe's today and forgot all about it. Sheesh!

Darla

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.