deer resistant suggestions for part shade/screening

Pittsburgh, PA

Neighbor has installed a metal fence along the property line of my part shade woodland -like back yard . Limbs of her white pines extend over the area. Pittsburgh area --zone 6. The deer have mowed down many evergreen plants that are suitable for this area. Please send suggestions or experience with japanese yews, sweet box, fragrant vines or any other shrub you feel may be suitable . I would like to plant a tall/medium/short arrangement that extends into the yard. Azaleas will probably be used for the front border as the deer do not seem much interested in the other azaleas on the property. I need a short variety suggestion here as well--all my other ones , Delaware VW etc. grow so tall.
Specific color is not an issue. I just want shrubs that will survive the part shade/shade and the deer. Flowers and/or frangrance would be a bonus. Please do not suggest "plastic"--I have already considered that!! thanks

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

For what it's worth, elsewhere on DG I found this, perhaps it might be useful to you. Sadly I am limited to balcony gardening, where deer are not a problem, but squirrels sure are !! Wish I knew of a good squirrel repellent !

Deer Problems? I was thrilled to find this recipe for home-made egg-based deer repellent, courtesy of Colorado State University Extension. It really works! And it lasts up to three months, even with rain. In early April, my emerging hostas and sedum were chewed to the ground. I made this repellent and sprayed what was left of them, plus every other tender plant that was accessible to the local deer population. I haven't re-applied the solution and we've had torrential rains the past two months, so these photos are proof!

[sorry, the images didn't copy, but they showed nice healthy vigorous plants in a garden.]

Make a solution of 20-percent whole eggs and 80-percent water. I purchased processed egg product with yolk (EggBeaters(r) or similar brand). If you wish to use whole fresh eggs, you must remove the white membrane (chalaza) that covers the yolk, which isn't particularly easy. The cartons of egg product have already been strained.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Buxus (Box) hybrids or species are deer-proof and shade tolerant. They were never eaten by the deer I shared a garden with in southeast PA., where it was not unusual to see groups of 30 or more animals munching their way through my flowerbeds. Buxus sempervirens 'Arborescens' grows to tree height (eventually), but most varieties that garden centers stock are short, shrubby, and of course you can clip them to make a hedge. You might also try an evergreen barberry, Berberis x gladwynensis 'William Penn'. It is low-growing, has small yellow flowers, and is extremely spiny, but in bad winters the foliage may suffer from windburn.

Verona, WI(Zone 4b)

June, I really appreciated your region-sensitive comments. I was going to comment that Janet should be careful with advice from people like me, in a very different environment. For example, I have learned that the Deer here in WI love Holly leaves and can strip a newly planted tree (arrrggggg), while the Annapolis, MD deer at my mom's house never touch the holly trees. We've had deer here chow down on the Hemlocks, while the Annapolis deer don't bother them. They leave my tulips alone, but my mom can't ever get to the flower stage before the buds are chomped. So my point is check carefully about the preferences of the Pittsburg deer before making an investment. Good luck!

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

For deer resistant plants, trees and shrubs specific to Pittsburgh call the your local office of Penn State Cooperative Extension at 724-654-2741. Ask them for the number for your local Horticultural Master Gardener Hotline. They have a wonderful website that I've used many times as a Master Gardener here in Ohio. Unfortunately, their web sites don't seem to be functioning today. Penn State Cooperative Extension is among the best in the nation for providing University based - researched home gardening information. They will absolutely have the very best advice and information to give about how to landscape with deer resistant plants.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
For example, I have learned that the Deer here . . .

Very important, yes, but bear in mind that their tastes can change with time as well as region! What is left untouched this year, might not next year. They may also thrash things that they don't eat with their antlers for rutting exercises.

The only things I know of that deer consistently won't eat are concrete and metal bars ;-)

Resin

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

And it depends on how hungry they are too--if they're hungry I think they'll eat pretty much anything, but if they're well fed then they'll be pickier and probably leave the "deer resistant" stuff alone.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

This looks interesting. I may try it for a small gold fish pond that, unless permanently netted during the ponding season, is raided nightly by racoons. Last year I was all but wiped out. That the technology works for so many critters is, including deer, is surprising.

http://www.niteguard.com/

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

I am an avid Rhododendron and Azalea collecter and the deer problem has decimated my yard. They do seem to have definate preferences such as Yew's, hostas, and azaleas, but will eat almost anything if hungry enough and the forage is poor. I am trying a multi- deterent approach to keep them away. The Number 1 defence is a Deer Fence 7' high made of heavy plastic, about $45.00 for 100' roll at Home Depot, and not the bird neting that is often sold as deer fencing. I have held it up with 6' poles inserted every 10' (Available at Home Depot for about $6.00each). I then wire an additional small stick to the pole to get the full 7' height,
The second line of defence is an electronic ultrasound device
($ 49.00) which extends itself in a straight line to about 60' within a radius of about 90o. This will only work in a straight line and so is not too good on undulating ground. ( the deer will go under the sound beam )
My third line of deer defence is to spray the plants they seem to like to eat best with an eggs solids spray, Some of the products that seem most effective are "Liquid Fence" or a homemade spray of a few eggs, hot pepper juice, and sticker spreader blended together in a blender and mixed with 2 gal of water and sprayed on all of these plants like hostas, azaleas, daylilies etc.
Obviously this is a lot of work but I have found that skipping any one method is a sure ticket to the deer eating away your plants. For example the deer will often find a way under the fencing, and because the deer fence is not especially attractive I don't put it up in the front yard on the street. The electronic devices must be hard wired or have its batteries changed every month, and must be carefully placed so as not to bother neighbors dogs etc. The spray will not last more than 2-3 months after heavy rains and must be renewed that often.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.