surefire method of frangapani strike one only piece!

wollongong, Australia

help! i need the sure or better than sure way of starting off my just borrowed! peice of unusual frangi i know lay it down to rest for at least a month but i cant replace it so this advice has to be good!come on guys help a fellow garden geek! this little piece has to be given the utmost best chance at replication1

Sydney, Australia

Don't know. Stay tuned. Help will come!
Budgie

Barmera, Australia

I've had little experience with Frangipanis but I know Nurserymen/women take their cuttings in winter and leave them under a bench until early Spring then pot them up. I have done that with success but I don't know about taking them early. I bet one of our Frangi people will know what to do.
Brian

Coffs Harbour, Australia

A month may be too long to leave it. You leave it in the dry shade untill the cut end is not squishy when you poke your finger into it. I hang mine upside down on the line, in shade for a week, and that does the trick. then pot into a mix of sand and soil, (no fertiliser) water once and stand in the shade. Most of the leaves will fall off, thats normal. I don't know that you will have enough warmth left in the season to encourage roots, so if you have a heat mat (old waterbed heater would work) or a hot water cylinder to put it on, you might be able to encourage growth. However, if you are keeping the bottom warm, you will have to keep the plant in humid conditions so it doesn't dry out. Watering the pot might encourage the cut end to rot, so you don't want to do that. All in all, its a bit tricky, and I don't think there is a guaranteed method. I work at a nursery where we propagate frangis, and its pretty hit and miss. At home, about 75% of mine strike, but I usually take the cutting when there is no leaves, (early spring) and propagate within a week or two of cutting. My advice is to give it a whirl, and if it doesn't work, go on the scrounge for a new bit. Its not a purple flowering one is it? he, he.
Sue

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

There is a plumeria forum on here, that has all the experts on it.

Below is how I strike frangi's but I only strike frangis in the summer and my success rate to date is100%.I haven't tried this in the winter but it would work, if you had a warm place to keep them through the winter months.The secret is do not over water, in fact in the winter, they don't need any water at all. I had placed about 8 cuttings on the ground in the greenhouse in April last year ,completely forgot about them till I saw new leaves on the top cutting in September,they had self rooted without even being in any mix,that's how hardy they are.I also live in the tropics, so these trees are easy for me to root because of my environment, not because of my expertise.

I always let them dry out for one week,in the shade , put rooting powder on it and then place in a small pot of washed river sand and place in a shaded area for about 1 month. I drench the cutting the first time after planting, than I only water when the sand is completely dry (you can get a soil moisture reader) When I take it out from the shade, I place it gradually in full sun ,first morning sun for a week than full sun all day. If it looks like it is going to rain within this period ,take it to some undercover area so it doesn't get drenched,they don't like to be wet ,when trying to establish roots . you'll know if it has rooted by the new leaves coming on.

I have used this method on very small cuttings, medium sized and as large as, 6 ft cuttings and this method has always worked. There is another website that is an authority on plumerias called plumeria 101 just google that and you'll find it.

goodluck...........by the way, what type of cutting is it,what's the frangis name?

Barmera, Australia

Myac a hint for using rooting hormone. For it to work it has to be put on a fairly new cut so it can be absorbed into the plant. If you wait for the cutting to heal it cannot absorb the IBA.
Brian

I guess I have always put rooting hormone on any cutting and never thought not to on old dried cuttings....makes sense...thanks for letting me know.

se qld, Australia

As much as they detest overwatering, they strike incredibly easily in water. I'd read about it somewhere so did one to try it out. It had roots beginning to form in around a week.

Gardengal did you dry it out first? before shoving it in the water?

se qld, Australia

Not a scrap Chrissy - straight from the tree.

Really? wow do the temperatures at the time need to be warm, what I mean is does it work any time?

Pam ,I'm going to try your method tomorrow,with this one..........

Thumbnail by MyaC
se qld, Australia

It's very pretty, Mya.

I have lots, so if it roots,I can send you some....sounds like this will be a quicker method of rooting and you can actually see the roots without having to pull up the poor stem......which I have been known to do and still do......

West of Brisbane, Australia

Here's my pink frangipani. It has only a faint scent, if you smell it at the right time of day, with your nose stuck right in it. I think it's slightly coconut in fragrance, but really faint. I had a dark-red one, which I let die (by leaving it exposed in winter) because it was completely without scent. I remember buying a pure red one on ebay supposedly with a rose scent, but I don't know whether this was it or whether it was one of my cuttings that died. Anyway, I've yet to smell one with a rose fragrance.

Of the ones I've had, the best-smelling ones are the common yellow-white and the Singapore evergreen. Mya, which one of your non-white frangis smells the best?

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Mya in your climate you would find it would be just as quick to root in soil/sand as in water...I find with a lot of plants that rooting in water does work but the roots then have to reajust to growing in soil...jmo,very pretty frangi btw....
Cestrum this frangi of mine has a strong rose like scent.

Thumbnail by brical1

A rose-scented frangi really exists? Good to know. Probably the best rose for this climate, too ...

So, let's see. There's the classic frangipani scent; the coconut scent; the rose scent; I'm pretty sure there's a lemon-scented one. Any other frangi perfumes that people have come across?

This message was edited Mar 20, 2009 10:42 AM

This white is another with an amazing scent.I don't know it's name but of all the whites I have/had this has got to be the most appealing.I can't describe the scent only to say it is like no other I have had.

Thumbnail by brical1

Is it not the 'classic' frangipani smell, but stronger? I admit I struggle trying to describe some fragrances (eg the Radermachera, which I *still* can't describe).

No not at all like the 'classic'/common frangi smell...much nicer imo

Does it have any overtones that are familiar, eg jasmine? gardenia? lemon? spicy? (To me, cestrum nocturnum is 'spicy.') osmanthus?

OT, I was working outside yesterday when I smelt the divine perfume of Osmanthus fragrans. I was about half a metre from the small plant, bought last year and obviously a slow grower, but couldn't see any blooms on it. It's only when I pushed aside the foliage that I saw one single blossom about 10cm from the ground: this tiny flower was emitting the most glorious perfume. Heaven!

wollongong, Australia

thanks guys for all your help iguess i should have said area sydney south if this thing doesnt root i will be gutted but i will give it a go and if any one is in the wollongong area with any frangi idears please let me know before i do potting root mix powder with sand base i have decided guys to segregate to two oh my god you can shes crazy of course i am ! its only a frangi! but i fell in love with it one cool and quiet morning the memory of the fragerance was what we romantics call ro -ush but if i cant get it to root ! well then there goes my ro ush (the romantic rush)

Good luck with it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.