rabbits at new shrubs..help

Brooklyn Park, MN(Zone 4a)

rabbits have eaten my sweet shrub,weigelai's,azalea's and some of my smoke bush.i planted these all late last summer in my new garden.will they survive and will they bloom,i know azaleas bloom on last years growth.i didn't have this problem last winter but this is a new city we moved to.fertilizer would probaly help.any advice welcomed.

Thumbnail by queenbeez
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

How much of the plant did they leave? If they left you some, then I think most of them will resprout, but they may not bloom this year (many shrubs won't bloom the first year after you plant them anyway--they spend some time getting their roots going first). I'd try putting some wire fencing around the bed or find a good repellent though or else they'll probably be back and keep munching any new growth that the poor plants do manage to put out. Also, are you sure it's rabbits or could it have been deer...little wire fences will keep bunnies out but you'd need something a lot taller for deer! Unless the shrubs were really tiny I tend to suspect deer rather than bunnies.

Barmera, Australia

G'Day. Depending on your situation (Close to house or neighbours) real Blood & Bone manure is a good deterant, just sprinkle it on the ground around the plant don't work it in. If that is not on then the fungicide chemical TMTD (here in Thiram) sprayed on the plants at a higher rate works. The problem with that is it has a short life if it rains.
Brian

the shrubs are small maybe 24 inches tall.i'm it was rabbits we have a fence around the yard.they chewed them down pretty good :(i'll have to protect them next winter,i have been putting corn out and the rabbits have started eating that.

Thumbnail by queenbeez

another pic of other garden,cant wait to get back out there and finish.i had no idea how much the mulch was gonna cost me i think this was 40 bags and i have another 50 in the shed-i will need to buy more come spring.i have 3 silver maples we cut down in this garden need to kill the stumps.i made this garden in 2 weeks by myself,i would come home from work and be out there ripping out grass.this garden is for the birds :)

Thumbnail by queenbeez
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I surrounded my small tree with 2 nursery planters(cut the bottom out so I was able to make a bigger circle)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.