Native Plants found in the Wild part 2

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I will start with a lovely plant native to Texas and many other states.
Cowpen Daisy, Verbesina encelioides;
http://wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=VEEN
This lovely annual can bloom its heart out until frost, and the butterflies love it. Very easy to grow.

Thumbnail by frostweed
North, TX

What a beautiful daisy Frostweed, and it's native to most of the U.S.

I found this flower growing beneath an oak tree and log, senecio aureus has many common names: Golden senecio, golden ragwort, false valerian, squaw weed, life root herb, coughweed. As indicated by the name Coughweed, it was used many years as a medicinal herb to treat coughs and problems of the lungs; among lots of other medicinal uses. It's apparently no longer acknowledged do to the trace alkaloid-senecionine, which can be toxic to the liver.

Thumbnail by Allwild
North, TX

Thank you Frostweed for starting this new thread :)

Trout Lily, Erythronium albidum from the Liliaceae family.

Thumbnail by Allwild

I love the Senecios, I took this picture on a trip to East Texas it was a gorgeous field of them.
http://wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=SEAM2
Josephine.

Thumbnail by frostweed
NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

My groundsels are just beginning to bloom, not fully open but you can see them starting! Packera obovata is the one I have. And hopefully I'll have Cowpen Daisy soon.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2009 10:03 AM

North, TX

The senecio that's shown at the wildflower site you have there Frostweed is senecio ampullaceus. Is that what I have? I don't want to diary it wrong! That is quite the gorgeous field view! It seems to go forever. Hope to see a pic of yours when it blooms LindaTX.

I think this is Dogwood that I ran into today. Of course it is at the edge of the property, out of sight from the house! poo. I'll have to look into propagating it? I was reading that Dogwood is seriously threatened around here by some powerful fungus.

Dogwood is a native along the east coast up to Maine and west to eastern Texas and Missouri.

Thumbnail by Allwild

I don't think the senecio in your picture id the same as the one on mine, the leaf is very different.
It is hard to tell for sure, which one it might be, but yours has rounder leaves.

North, TX

Just checking. I try to be very thorough with my ID's but I'm far from good at this point. But I think I have the correct one.

www.missouriplants.com/Yellowalt/Senecio_aureus_page.html

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

That Texas thistle grows in Ky too.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

This grows all over around here. Hundreds of acreas of them on the farm where we pasture some of our horses. I have no idea what it is called.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

Some kind of ironweed?

Yes, Ironweed, if you show us the leaf we might be able to tell which one, there are many.
I love the thistles too, and the butterflies are crazy about them.
Here is a link to all the Vernonias, maybe you can find it there;
http://plants.usda.gov/java/nameSearch
Josephine.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I'll see if I can dig one up. I clicked on that link above but I didn't see what to do after I got there.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

http://plants.usda.gov/java/stateSearch?searchTxt=vernonia&searchType=Sciname&stateSelect=US21&searchOrder=1&imageField.x=52&imageField.y=10

Try this link, for some reason the usda site is really tricky to link to. Hopefully it's a list of Ironweeds that grow in Kentucky.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I went to that second link and was able to use it. It looks like it is either a prairie iron weed or a new york iron weed.

This is a drawing of the prairie iron weed. The leaves look just right.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

This is a pic of the new york iron weed and the flowers look the same. I think the leaves are not quite as big on this one as the ones are on the farm.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Popped in this forum to see if I could snoop around for a few ID's. We were in the Mojave desert area in So. Calif. over the weekend and the blooms were beautiful!

California coreopsis

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

California coreopsis & lupine

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

coreopsis, so cheerful

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Yellow California coreopsis, cobalt blue Desert Bluebells with lavender Lupine. That dark blue was intense!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Indian Paintbrush

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Here's a closeup of that intense blue. Desert Bluebell, Phacelia campanularia

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Lupinus concinnus AKA Elegant Lupine

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Malacothrix glabrata, desert dandelion

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif. poppies of course!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Southern Sierra phacelia

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Ok, so here is where I need ID help.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

and what species of lupine?

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

#5, an itty bitty cutie

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

#5 leaves

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

So if no one knows, I will just take them to the Plant ID forum later.

A beautiful pink spined cactus with a scenic back drop.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Great pics. The intense blues, reds (Indian paintbrush), and oranges (poppies) really come through. Sadly, I can't help with the IDs, not my neck of the desert. ;)

Pretty! I don't know the CA wildflowers much. Looks like your desert is doing better than our non-desert on wildflower blooms. The drought has really wiped out our wildflowers! But this one is blooming because it's right by something I water. Squarebud Primrose, Calylophus Berlandieri, possibly subspecies pinifolius.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2009 10:16 PM

Thumbnail by LindaTX8

I am sorry, I don't know the California wildflowers, but they sure are beautiful.
Josephine.

Salina, KS(Zone 6a)

Thhere is a lady, Kelli on the weather forum that posts posts named picture of a lot of California wild flowers.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Could #1 be Phacelia fremontii? http://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/species_query.cgi?where-calrecnum=6327

Oh, thanks Liz, I think it's a match! http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?query_src=&enlarge=0000+0000+0708+1021

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Great pictures!

I took this yesterday. It's growing along the side of a gravel road. I believe it's huckleberry but I haven't had a chance to search for positive id.

Thumbnail by bigred

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.