A question on moving.....

(Zone 4a)

I planted a Scartho Gem last summer and I need to move it. When is the perfect time to dig it up? Is it before it wakes up? Can I still move it if I find a bit of new growth on it? Help!!!! I want to do this as simply and easy for the plant as possible. Thanks in advance.

Delaware, OH

move it as soon as possible, preferably on a rainy day.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Ditto..move it now while it's dormant

Delaware, OH

if you can't move it on a rainy day, do it in the evening after the sun goes down or on a very overcast day in the late afternoon.
if you had to move it on a sunny day, use an umbrella and shade the plant all day.
good luck!

(Zone 4a)

Ok hold on....I still have snow and the ground could be frozen for all I know?? You are meaning to do it as soon as the ground is workable right??? I am guessing I would prepare the new hole with compost and bone meal etc and just plant it normally? Once the ground thaws right?

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes, once the ground thaws. LOL!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Ditto..always remember you can't do anything till the soil is "Workable"..

(Zone 4a)

Thanks girls - I realized how stupid I sounded after I posted that post but then figured ahhhh just leave it. I get so panicked so quickly. LOL

Delaware, OH

yes,you have to wait till the ground is barely digable. but if you have someone dig the hole as soon as it is digable, and bring that soil in the garage to warm up a bit and mix it with your ammendments, you can then dig your clem out, and replant it with the warmed up, ammended soil. when any plant is moved when it is completely dormant it sets it back less.
but you would certainly have to have digable soil.
guess we all forgot about the fact you were still snowy.

the difference in the two zones is amazing. i was thinking of my zone. we are coming out of dormancy here. most clems showing growth at soil or higher. i am pruning a bit every day. and am lucky to have a helper here cleaning out all the leaves form around the shrubs and some of that type of tidy up.

you must be drooling for spring. it willbe in the 70's today here, has been in the 60's all week. we will be back to 20's at night and 50's in the daytime by the end of the week. typical spring fluctuations. we could even get a snow in april, but if so , it would be of the quick melting type.

good luck dawn.

(Zone 4a)

One more thing about moving it....do I need to make sure the hole I dig out is nice and wet too? It will probably still be cold when I do this....I just want to check if I add water or just move the darn thing....

Delaware, OH

if you are totally dormant i don't think it is a big concern. i would water after i moved it and then begin watering as warming begins if rain does not cover it.

(Zone 4a)

Ok thanks.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Mine is puting out leaves, but I need to move it just a few inches closer to the trellis so it can catch onto it easier.

(Zone 4a)

Ok this is weird.....I have a slight clearing in the snow and right in that spot I have tulips starting to come out...well tulips or daffs not sure which.....ANYHOW does this mean the ground isn't frozen??? I have snow everywhere still.......

Delaware, OH

stick in a shovel or trowel and find out. the extra hours of seasonal daylight, and daytime temps have probably warmed soil up slightly.

(Zone 4a)

OMG but what do I do?? I have that scartho gem I want to move...the area it is in is near the tulips....I want to move it to the back of the house before it wakes up but where I want to plant it there is still 2 feet of snow!!!! Eeeks!

Delaware, OH

just wait till the snow is gone and the tulips have bloomed. pick the flowers (but not all the green leaves)and put them in a vase. then, when you did hole, dig the tulips up if they are in the way and lay them outside for a few weeks, they probably will finish their cycle and be fine if replanted about a month later. the green leaves take in the energy even if not planted.

you can actually move the clem anytime as long as you prune back and take excellent care of it.

nature gives you plenty of time and options!

however, i would seriously consider heading south next year if possible. sounds like a LOT of snow!

(Zone 4a)

Ha! I agree with you! have a home for sale next to you? LOL!

Thanks for all your help....I am done panicking now! Promise!

Delaware, OH

stay warm and i hope your snow goes away soon.

Dawn: I guess it still must be really cold where you live to have snow on the ground. You'll have to wait a little bit longer for the snow to melt before moving your Clematis.

(Zone 4a)

Can you tell that when it comes to Clematis I have no patience...not a strong virtue for me I guess LOL

Hang in there! Spring always follows Winter!

(Zone 4a)

Good news!! It is pouring rain out there now - it has melted so much snow already....I hope it keeps raining all night!!!

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I found one growing that seems to have been a branch that fell and took root. That is how I gave my neighbor one a few years ago. Now hers is growing real nice. It even bloomed the first year.

Delaware, OH

Sounds like an accidental layering propagation!
Congrats!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.