2nd PIX OF ARE THESE REALLY APHIDS

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Here is another view to help identify.

Thumbnail by RustyStar
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes, they look like aphids to me. I usually start with a strong blast from the garden hose, then spray insecticidal soap on what's left. You'll probably need to repeat ever few days for a while because they multiply at the speed of light so any that you missed the first time around will be back. (also, next time you can include both pictures in one thread...you can only upload one at a time, but you can reply to your original post as many times as you'd like and post a new picture each time you reply).

Thanks so much for the info and also the info about how to post more than one pix - I appreciate it! What is your first name anyway? You have been so helpful. Where is Dublin? This morning after I sprayed with the hose last night, they were all gone! - seems amazing! I will repeat as you suggested, though. Have a great day! Rusty

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Definitely keep your eye out and repeat when you see new ones popping up...aphids are easy to kill but hard to get rid of because every one that you miss will turn into thousands seemingly overnight! Dublin's in the Bay Area, about 20 miles east (and a little south) of Oakland. Glad I was able to help! Liz

So true! There were a few "newbees" this morning and I sprayed the heck out of them. Happy St. Patrick's Day! :) Rusty
P.S. What are you growing?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I have all kinds of stuff...I have a bunch of California natives and a lot of Australian natives (Grevilleas especially), and a lot of the typical Mediterranean plants like rosemary and lavender. I also collect tropical hibiscus and different species of Buddleia. And of course a bunch of other things too...I'm one of those people who likes to have one of everything instead of planting in groups like you're supposed to. I also tend to like more unusual things--a lot of my plants come from botanical garden plant sales or specialty mail order nurseries.

Oh gosh! This is too good to be true because I am SERIOUSLY considering purchasing a large Grevillea this coming week. I am concerned because I don't know anyone with experience in growing them. Number one - Do they attract a lot of bees? I read that they do. I plant mainly for hummingbirds. I know they are supposed to attract them - have you found that to be true? Are they easy to grow? Thanks, Liz!

I'm like you, too, in that I like to buy stuff I fall in love with - I have a nice bed of delphiniums that I've just started and it's doing well --- fuschias I hang from baskets for the hummers, but otherwise, I buy here and there, bits & pieces! :) Rusty

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Do you know which one it is that you're getting? The hummingbirds definitely love them (at least the ones with red/orange flowers), they're right up there with my Agastaches and Salvias in terms of hummingbird attraction potential, only trouble is they don't have as long of a bloom period as the Ag's and salvias but while they're blooming it's definitely hummer buffet! I don't recall seeing many bees on mine. I'm sure there are some, but there are definitely other plants in my garden that get more bees (Baccharis, Perovskia, and rosemary seem to be their favorites out of the things I grow).

Grevilleas are pretty easy to grow, but the one thing to remember is do not give them fertilizer with phosphorus in it...plants in the Protea family will die if they get too much phosphorus. When I first moved out here and didn't know anything about gardening, I did have a grevillea that I got from Home Depot and I fed it Miracle Gro once and it didn't die, but I definitely would not give them anything on a regular basis that has phosphorus in it. Most of the plants I grow are natives to California or Australia or other Mediterranean areas where the soil is typically on the poor side and so none of them really need a lot of fertilizer, but if you have a "hungrier" garden then you may want to keep the Grevillea in a pot instead. I think they're happier in the ground, but I have some in pots since I've run out of room in my garden and they're doing OK.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.