Help...what can I plant in this?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Everyone here has such good imagination...such good ideas!!! I bought this "thang" at the market...it is terracotta, about 2" deep and it does have drain holes...what can I plant in it? Any cool ideas...what about just ideas?

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya

A "type" of vining plant?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

A cascade style bonsai.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Hmmmmm. Cascade Style Bonzai? Examples? ... like?...weeping cyprus?

Keaau, HI

A mixture of Tillandsia usneoides and Tillandsia ionantha.

You'll see fiery bromeliads in the heart of your planter with cascades of silver trailing down!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

HAHAHAHA...I thought I would share this: T. usneoides is 'Spanish Moss'...and I found this comment on a website:

WARNING
Don't use Spanish moss for bedding or packing without first treating it to kill tiny pests (especially red bugs or chiggers) that may be lurking within. Microwaving works well, as does heating or boiling in water. (Remove bats, lizards and snakes before microwaving.)

Dave...how would you combine the two?

Keaau, HI

Place a medium such as chopped up hapu'u trunk in the floor of the tray. Train chains of Tillandsia usneoides so that it is hanging out of each opening. Place Tillandsia ionantha starts so that they are visible in each opening.

Donkey's tail or any other trailing succulent.
It's a beautful piece!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

While I like the idea of DonkeyTail...some succulents have a problem with 150" of rain per year...while the Tillandsias love it and I have lots of T. ioanthe looking for a home....

Thanks so much, Dave!!! and everyone!!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I found out the hard way when I was collecting spanish moss at a friends country home.
heed the warning!

Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico(Zone 11)

We have a lot of Tillandsia ionantha here as well, it covers the trees out in the countryside. I think it would look lovely with the spanish moss hanging down. I had also thought of donkey tail, it would be nice as well if you kept it under a covered terrace.

Bay Saint Louis, MS

haha put a gnome in it that is sitting down or even a frog in a lying position lol

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Thanks EVERYone... I like the idea of the Spanish Moss and then the T. ioanthe....nice contrast of textures and shapes.... Your ideas are wonderful!!!!!

Carol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.