Warning: New Phone Scam out of Reno, NV

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

My Dad got a call on his cell from a young man who said he was his Grandson and had been in a car accident and needed $2500. My Dad who is 82 was, of course, upset and went to WalMart to get a wire transfer for the money. He told the story to the person behind the counter and she told him it was a scam. She and one other customer had been caught in the same scam. Dad did not get the money and when the person called back to get the transfer information - Dad asked him how his wife "Joyce" was and of course the person didn't know because "Joyce" was at home. Well Joyce is my Dad's girlfriend and Dad just hung up on the creep.

I just wanted to put this out for everyone to tell their friends so that these people don't get any more money.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

How hateful can some people be? Thanks for the tip Yank, sorry your Dad was a target!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

How horrible. I have heard of that one before.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its the praying on old people that burnes me.
We all arent as perkey as Cats grandfather .
I sometimes get stuff from Pay-Pal thats bogus too.
Suspecious when they want my credit card info. I'm not that stupid.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Unreal...glad your dad didn't send a check.

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

oooh this really burns me! I was helping an 88 yo lady a while back. One day she complained that this co kept sending her address labels that she didnt order, yet she kept paying them money. I checked it out and turns out that she was confused and thought the 'donation' was mandatory. The way it was worded...well, I can see how she got confused, I would have too! she received sooo much junk mail in her mail box, that she often overlooked bills. I put a stop to it really easily :o) I started stuffing their pre-paid response envelopes with as much junk mail as I could lol! I think they finally got tired of paying the postage to receive their junkmail back and removed her name lol! just really burns me when people prey on the elderly ugh!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

that's terrible

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

You are doing a good thing to keep her mail in order.
I'm not "there" yet but there are times of fleeting confusion.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I got a postcard in the mail yesterday that said there was a package ready to be claimed ... and I just need to pay $16.95 to get it and to call the toll free number on it... stating that it contained jewelry... I don't buy any of that stuff just knew it was fake

Just figured something out but its not a scam. Normally I see 2 bus'es every morning. 7.05 for the high school and 8.05 for the elementary school. I have just realized I am not seeing the 2nd bus.

2 weeks ago a guy got arrest for illegal drugs. Come to find out he was also on the sex offender list. The 2nd bus is MIA. Parents are probably giving the kids a ride to school.

I never let my dogs out around 8 so they wont wander up by the road to see the kids!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

not good

Awful.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hello..have they ever heard of a background check?....geez

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

thats scary! My friend was telling me the other day that her 11yo sons ss # was stolen...and someone ran up bad credit. poor kid, younever think you have to do a credit check for your kids...but these scammers are out to get whoever they can :o(

Was it the driver who was the offender??

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.