Planting flowers under trees

Tennille, GA

I have 2 large Pecan trees that I want to plant some sort of flower or shrub that blooms in spring and summer.I would like the folage to be evergreen. What do you suggest?

Thanks,Glenn
Middle Georgia

Fort Payne, AL

Have you tried iris? I know it's not evergreen, but maybe it could be part of the plan...

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

How about some of the Encore azaleas? They have many colors, now - you could plant all one color, or alternate 2 colors. They tend not to get huge- I've had mine for a max of 5 years, & those are just under 3' tall. They bloom in Spring (mine are in bloom now - just gorgeous!), and again in Fall. You could plant other things in front, but they are pretty low maintenance - I just fertilize 2 x per year, and, other than a stray branch or 2, do not need to be pruned (at least not yet!) Samantha

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Lenten roses (Helleborus x) are very tough; evergreen perennials for shade. They begin blooming late Jan., for me and are effective for nearly 3 months. They are only about 14" tall though and they don't bloom in the summer (spring and summer is a tough order). They are very accepting of dry shade and as a bonus, deer don't bother them.

Fort Payne, AL

You might stick some heuchera amonst whatever else you plant because the foliage is so pretty all year and they thrive in shade.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Camellias but they don't flower at the right time for you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.