Carob Root System

Coronado, CA

Help! I have been trying to solve a root mystery in our small yard. The area along the sidewalk--from the edge of the walk to about 3 feet in toward the house--seems to have a fairly recent problem with invasive roots. I can't for the life of me figure out where they're coming from. The roots appear to run the length of the gardenized area (mostly planted with roses, begonias, and some small perennials). They are long and "ropey", and maybe 18" or so down. Growing up from them are smaller roots, which capillary out to even smaller ones, which have created matting maybe 6" below the surface, preventing about anything from properly growing.

We have a carob tree that's 15-20' (that's a guess, but it's not huge) on the parkway, closer to the street. There is some asphalt buckling in the street, but no problems with the sidewalk.

Could the roots be part of the carob system, or something else? We also have a jacaranda, much closer to our house, but I don't think that's the problem. There are not other trees in the immediate vicinity--the neighbors have small maple tree on one side, and two houses down there is a eucalyptus, but I'm the only one that seems to have the root problem.

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.