Newbie-To-Be

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I am currently reading up on worm farming. I keep looking for he answer to one question - Perhaps someone can tell me!
I see that the red wrigglers are not native critters. I also read that some worms are "lost" during harvest of the castings. Can these escapees survive in our climate for any length of time?
Also - Is there a way to find local farmers who would be willing to share their worms? I can't recall ever running across this topic locally, but I would like to!
Julie

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Very thoughtful question! That's an issue that doesn't usually get brought up by folks that are encouraging worm composting, but it is an important responsibility.

Great Lakes Worm Watch, http://www.nrri.umn.edu/worms/, has some more info. I believe the issue is the same in other parts of the northern US and Canada, just that Minnesota has been kind of in the forefront of doing something about it. Worm Watch could probably point you to any resources specific to Connecticut.

As far as surviving in the wild where it is cold, yes. Worms are cold blooded, so they can't live below freezing. In the wild, what they do is burrow down as the weather gets colder, to a depth where the soil is insulating them from the worst of the cold, then just come back up in the spring.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Is there an alternate to the above link? That one doesn't seem to be working...
I looked around - But I can't seem to locate anyone in Connecticut. Even the sole worm distributor is gone. Looks like I will be buying them elsewhere.
How about this question: When your farm is well established, do you have extra worms that you need to give away, to control the masses? Or do they slow down reproduction due to environment size or availability of food? Will I need to expand the farm as the worms increase their numbers?
(Just thinking about my tropical fish tank, who have outgrown their quarters!)
Any ideas?
Julie

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

http://www.nrri.umn.edu/worms/

(not with the comma).

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Is there any disadvantage to purchasing the coccoons to begin your worm farming? Other than the waiting time for them to hatch? I just saw a listing for coccoons on eBay, for a fraction of the cost. Any thoughts?
Julie

Palmer, AK(Zone 2a)

Julie...most people get worms for composting. Under ideal circumstances, it is claimed the worms eat half their weight in kitchen scraps per day. Most worms are not raised under ideal circumstances.

It would take a long, long, LONG time for those cocoons to hatch and the babies get big enough to eat much of anything.

What you could do, though, would be buy a minimal amount of adult worms for your immediate, skimpy needs and buy some cocoons to add to the bin for future growth.

HTH

This message was edited Mar 18, 2009 10:48 PM

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

That sounds like a better idea. SOme of the worm prices are high, simply due to the overnight shipping costs with UPS.

Palmer, AK(Zone 2a)

That sounds like a better idea. Some of the worm prices are high, simply due to the overnight shipping costs with UPS.

I know what you mean about high shipping costs. Sometimes the USPS is cheaper--especially if the sender uses a Flat Rate shipping box.

There are shippers who are willing to work with you--but sometimes they are few and far between.

If you are looking to purchase worms, you could try eBay (be sure to check the shipping methods/costs) or Google it.

Your best bet, though, is to contact your local Cooperative Extension Service. They know everything! :)

N. vancouver, Canada

Julie:

Are you aiming for indoor or outdoor wormfarming?
The red wigglers can be found in aged horse manure piles. If you want to collect some, I think you have to wait till the weather gets warmer.

You expand your farm if you still need to increase your compost harvest. What I have read so far, you can control the increase of your worm population by manipulating the amount of scrap you feed them.

As for me, I can't wait for the day I have too many worms. It's been 3 long months and I started with supposedly 1.5lbs. of red wigglers. (they cost more than fillet mignon I tell you).
Today, I don't think I even have 1/2 lb in my bin. I imagine the rest have perished until such time that my bin has settled and these are now the 2nd generation worms.

Otis

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Why have they died? Is there an initial die off with the worm farm start up? From your experience, I think I will go ahead & buy the adults. I was hoping to be able to use some castings by mid Summer or so. I am aiming for an indoor farm, but I thought I would place it outdoors in the shade for the warm months. I don't know of anyplace where I could rummage through horse manure - At least not locally. I guess I am just anxious to get started, now that I have made up my mind to join in the fun!
Julie

N. vancouver, Canada

Julie:
There should NOT be an initial die off when you start. Obviously my bin condition is not "ideal" for the worms that I received. Don't forget, they are not all raised the same way and you never know how the worms you bought/got were raised.

I have found out that I 've got to have patience with my worms until such time when they call my bin their home and start doing what they are supposed to do.
Even if you follow everything by the book, there might always be something that will throw your shedule off. So, until you get your bin established, you can't really say that by such and such date you'd like to harvest this many lbs. of castings.
I thought: hmmm, how difficult can it be. They're just worms and they can be found in places where things are decaying.

I envy those people who posted pictures of their bin with worms congregating on the entire surface of the bin.

Otis

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

But those pictures are an inspritation too - I hope I can reach that point, where I can see the worms thriving. I have a fish tank that has provided me with some suprises - I guess any time you try to mimic an environment you will certainly learn a lot. Some day, I too will post some photos :)

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Near the end of last summer I stopped at a country gas station/gen store (in N.E. North Carolina) for a coke and found they had small paper cups of red worms (maybe 15 or 20 worms) for $2.25. I bought one cup and put the worms into my compost pile which was 6 months old with veggie food scraps and some lawn mower made mulch. Now every time I turn some of the mulch to add more coffee grounds and veggie scraps, there are lots of worms. I am really pleased at the reproduction rate; I never realized there would be 50 or 100 fold reproduction over the winter.

Yesterday, I was sorting through some of the mulch to mix with potting soil to fill a couple of pots and I had to keep picking the worms out and throwing them back into the pile.

Paul

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I wasn't certain if the bait shops carried the wrigglers or tigers. Do they normally carry them, or did you happen upon the worms at the store by chance? There are a few bait shops locally, as I live on the shoreline.
That is a great return on a cup of worms! I guess you made them happy :)

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

JRush- I am not that sure about names for worms. I'd say mine are just plain red wrigglers. I didn't care as I knew mine were "locals" and probably could live in my backyard if I fed them right. If your CT bait store knows where their worms are raised, they will tell you but they may not know. If you can keep your worm box reasonably warm over winter it probably won't matter. Any earthworms that will live will provide good compost for you. Local bait worms are cheap enough to try and most are red wrigglers of some kind. Canadian night crawlers won't work for me- too hot here.

If you Google earthworms you will get lots of info to read. I didn't try red wrigglers - I suspect that would give you more info on worm farms who will sell them to you for $20 or more for a bunch of worms.

If you contact the CT agricultural extension service, I think they can tell you about local needs.

Good luck!

Paul

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the help - I checked on Craigslist, & found a seller. But I found a pretty good deal on ebay, for African earthworms. They are larger than the wrigglers, & they are good composters. The only drawback is that they are tropical, & cannot go below 40 degrees or so. So they will be indoors for part of the year. My 3 pounds of worms should arrive in the next day or two - Their new home is nearly prepared! I am totally psyched to begin this project, & I already have a couple of people who want to check it out once it is going. My neighbor learned about vermicomposting when she saw it on Martha Stewart's show. It is becoming popular!
Julie

Palmer, AK(Zone 2a)

Julie...you will LOVE your worms. On top of everything else, they are a great conversation starter. You'll be amazed at how many people will want to see them. :)

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I have to admit - That squirming ball of worms was not appealing... at all!
I hope they will be happy in their new home here - They arrived in some castings - It is coarse & rich, & I can't wait to harvest some from my own worms in the future.
Perhaps I can share my worms later this year as well - Get some of the neighborhood kids going with their own worm farms :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.