Curious about Piilu and Hagley Hybrid

(Zone 4a)

I want to plant either one on a Pyramid type trellis in the middle of my garden. Has anyone had trouble with wilt on these 2 type of clematis?

Guru I am just curious as well....I noticed how you said if the plants gows too big for the structure it will start going down and fill in nicely. Second question I have this fence in my garden and every year I try to keep it from flopping over the fence....I want to keep all my blooms (yes I am greedy)...how can I stop them from doing this and growin back down on my side of the fence? Any ideas?

This message was edited Mar 13, 2009 8:59 PM

(Zone 4a)

Here is a photo of what I am talking about - My fence is maybe 4 feet to 41/2 feet tall.....so far I have been able to try to trail them along the fence but this isn't always easy and now the plants are getting even bigger...

Thumbnail by DawnLL
Delaware, OH

gently place the vine toward you vs going over the back of the fence when it first starts directing itself that way. don't wait till there is a lot of it over the fence. i have had this happen for sure.once it happened to me from a neighbors and i loved having the flowers on my side!
if i have to try and train vines, or tie them in i always try to do it in light rain. i have found when it is raining the vine is more pliable and i can move it or place it with less chance of damage to the vine.
you can sometimes bring it forward and loosely and tie it back over to itself with a piece of nylon panty hose cut into a strip...that has the least chance of damage on the vine. maybe other readers have better ideas on this, i try and let the vine do what it wants and tie in or up as little as possible.

or put something higher than the fence for it to grow on....good luck. look like nice clems for sure.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I have not had problems with either one of those wilting..but my suggestion to you would be to put Clematis "Piilu" on the Pyramid type obelisk as it will only get about 4 feet tall..Clematis "Hagley's Hybrid" will easily get about 6+feet tall..as far as your short fence ..the only thing I can suggest is to plant the shorter varieties along it or you'll be out there daily gently guiding the clematis to grow sideways...Jeanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.