hardy mums from spring hill

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i am not a flower gardener but i received this offer from spring hill saying they have developed a truly hardy perennial mum that grows to 3 feet high and 5 feet wide. it also needs no pinching, no pruning and no deadheading. they will send me ten of these plants for $29.99. they include 2 each of red daisy, lavender daisy, white daisy, coral daisy and a bonus of 2 yellow quill.

as i said, i am not a flower gardenr and have had no luck when i tried. in the past 4 years i gtried twice to grow mums which i bought from sams club. the plants were very large. the first time i was told not to cut them down but just fill in between the branches with leaves and to make sure i covered the root which i did. they never came backl.

the second time i bought them gain from sams club i was told to cut them down to about 2 inches from the ground and cover with mulch. i did that and they enver grew again either.

has anyone received this offer from spring hill and what do you thdink of it.

i checked our market place here on DG and found mostly negative posts aboutthis company.

thanks for any help you can give me.

frank

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Here's a company that grows the mums it sells.
http://www.faribaultgrowersinc.com/
It is only about 50 miles from me & in Zone 4A. Their mums will live through tough winters.
Most are bred by University of Minnesota.
Prices are better than ones you listed.
I have many in my garden & some have been here for years. One very pretty one has been spread around DG by way of Round Up plant swaps.
Bernie

This message was edited Mar 13, 2009 4:20 PM

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Never ordered from them, Frank, but have only heard bad things.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

They do have a lifetime guarantee and will replace the plants or send you your $ back.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

country gardens - a long time ago another DG'er gave me that website but it seemed to disappear after a while. thanks for getting that informatin for me. i read about the caring he the plants when they are sent to me and it looks pretty difficult to me. will think about.

victorgardener/flowerjen - tanks for your input also.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

they are hit or miss for sure... I ordered from them in the past... just because of the price.. got what I paid for.. have you looked at the bluestone page... the prices are good.... they come small but have a better chance of the plants actually surviving

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

onewish - thanks for your information. i believe i am leaning against buying them.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I would be as well... don't want to deal with it... would rather pay a few extra dollars from a more reliable place

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Here's Spring Hill in Garden Watchdog.
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/188/

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i did check the garden watchdog and was leary of buying from them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.